What parts needed for ape hanger install? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

What parts needed for ape hanger install?

I will be installing 12 inch ape hangers next week but I was wondering what cables I need to buy and what size? So far I'm pretty sure I'll need a new brake line but does anyone know what length and where to buy one? Also will I need to buy a new longer wiring harnesses for the start switch, horn and lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
I will be installing 12 inch ape hangers next week but I was wondering what cables I need to buy and what size? So far I'm pretty sure I'll need a new brake line but does anyone know what length and where to buy one? Also will I need to buy a new longer wiring harnesses for the start switch, horn and lights?
I don't think you can buy a longer wire harness. You have to make the one you have now longer. The best thing to do is get some wire and some shrink tubing. Hopefully, your new handlebars have holes drilled in them to run the wires through.

You can buy all the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I don't think you can buy a longer wire harness. You have to make the one you have now longer. The best thing to do is get some wire and some shrink tubing. Hopefully, your new handlebars have holes drilled in them to run the wires through.

You can buy all the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBVCMbCUUU
I don't think they have holes drilled through. I'll probably have to do that myself, but I'll call and ask.

Edit...I checked online and the bars aren't drilled so I'll have to do that. I was thinking that I might just drill a hole at the bottom of the bars by the triple trees to run the wiring instead of running them along the outside of the bars like they are now.

Last edited by roblox84; 09-19-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM

If you are going with internal wiring....just know that it's a pretty big job you;re getting into.

You need to cut the factory wire, solder in a length of new wire, then resolder the factory wire with the plugs on the end back on after you string it through the handlebars. There are over 20 wires, so plan on taking at least a full day or two to get this done. It is a lot of cutting and soldering. I'd suggest buying matching colored wire or colors very close to factory...it just makes it so much easier. You'll know for sure what wires you're working with when you have an electrical issue....

Make sure you cut the factory wires at different length intervals so the soldered sections aren't all in the same place. That makes it damn near impossible to pull them through the bars.

Also, make sure to test the continuity of each one after the wires are pulled through....before resoldering the end on.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I thought I was going to have to solder extensions on even if I run them along the outside of the bars, is this not the case?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I thought I was going to have to solder extensions on even if I run them along the outside of the bars, is this not the case?
You can use connector. I think they are called butt connectors. However they might make very hard to thread the wires through the handlebars. The professional way is to solder the two end, then seal it up with heat shrink tubing.

I think that any set of handlebars looks better with those wires inside the bars than zip tied or hanging loose.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
You can use connector. I think they are called butt connectors. However they might make very hard to thread the wires through the handlebars. The professional way is to solder the two end, then seal it up with heat shrink tubing.

I think that any set of handlebars looks better with those wires inside the bars than zip tied or hanging loose.
Yeah I would think so too. Since its getting chilly and I could use a break from riding I'll probably run the wires the proper way through the bars. Is there any other cables that I should buy such as a longer brake line or will every thing else be fine left stock?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You have more options and it's quite a bit easier staying outside.....going inside takes quite a bit more work, but it does look better. It's a pretty tight squeeze if you're using 1" bars, just keep the bulk down as small as possible. Making the almost 90* bend at the bottom can be a real pain sometimes...

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You have more options and it's quite a bit easier staying outside.....going inside takes quite a bit more work, but it does look better. It's a pretty tight squeeze if you're using 1" bars, just keep the bulk down as small as possible. Making the almost 90* bend at the bottom can be a real pain sometimes...
I have read somewhere about a trick were you tie or tape a piece of thin rope or line to the cable/wire, feed it into the handlebar then use a vacuum cleaner to suck that piece of rope through the handlebar then pull the wire through. I might try that first and see how it goes.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 AM

when you solder on extensions make them different lengths so when you tape them together and pull them thru the bars the end is tapered ...easier to pull thru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode