2008 VStar 1100 won't start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

2008 VStar 1100 won't start

Hi everyone,

luckily it's towards the end of the season I am having this issue. My bobber won't start anymore. The only thing I have done recently was get exhausts off, re-wrap with heat wrap and slap them back on. This was last weekend. It's a 2008 Silverado, 21k km on it.

I noticed pretty bad misfiring after a test ride. Weird, as nothing on the bike changed at all, ok, re-synch the carbs, were a bit off, no biggie. That solved the misfiring, now however I was out of power every ~5 seconds while riding normal. So normal ride, sluggishness, nornal ride, sluggish, etc. Weird again, I tightened the exhaust bolts as they were a bit loose-ish still and after that the bike refuses to start.

I have cleaned spark plugs, they're on the dirty side but not devastatingly so. I'll pick up new ones tomorrow anyways. I have put the battery on a trickle charger over night now, will see if that does anything; as you can see in the video it drops pretty low when trying to start. Killswitch is off, fuel cock is on, tank is full.

Any tips on where to go from here or any things I am missing, I'd be glad for any feedback. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM

I would suggest start with the basics. Every engine needs three things to run correctly, fuel, spark, and compression. You need to check and see which one of those has failed on you. Do you still hear the fuel pump when you flip on the switch? Maybe it's failed or a fuel line is stopped up or something. After trying to start it what do the plugs look like? Dry, wet?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 PM

OK....2 questions...

Is it getting fuel to the carbs and into the intake?

Is it getting Spark?

...answer both of those that we can start heading some where.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 09-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I did not get to work on the bike today so I could not check for spark. The fuel pump is happily buzzing away when turning the key. I'll get back to you with other findings asap, thanks again!

Edit: Battery is completely full again as well and keeps charge so that's out.
Edit2: Got her running again. Gave everything a good cleaning and slapped new spark plugs in, started back up. My take on the issue is that the first time I reassembled the exhaust and didn't properly tighten all bolts I killed the plugs (and hopefully nothing else) and clogged a few things with all the misfiring. Thanks for the reminder of the basics guys and for the help in general, much appreciated!

Last edited by SebS; 09-23-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Update and problem solved!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Ah I just started experiencing this issue today! The other night I had the petcock to "off" and forgot to turn it to "on". I ran it until it died on me (stoplight), but I think that may have caused something to go bad. Gonna have to check the spark plugs as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode