Workshop manual - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Workshop manual

Hi all well just recieved a 1300 clymer workshop manual from you guys in the states , why did you order it from here you say ,because it was cheaper than buying it from a dealer here .Go figure ? i can order a manual from a zillion miles away with freight and its still cheaper than from a dealer 5km near my home. Hmmm i smell a ripoff anyway seems like a fairly comprehensive manual and has some good photos ,i could have bought a cd version here but i have found that the pictures are always distorted or dark and you cant see things properly .
I was reading about oil changes in the maintenance section and saw something about oil bleed bolts on the side of the cylinders having to be loosened off to check oil then tightened up again once the change is done can anyone elaborate on this a bit more ,if i didnt have the manual i would have just dumped the oil change the filter and filled it up to the level line on the sight glass never heard of this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM

I am certainly no expert, but I have never even heard of oil bleed bolts on any vehicle either, just the drain plug bolt, dump the oil and change the filter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:09 PM

The MOM (motorcycle owner's manual) for the 2013 V Star 1300 doesn't mention oil bleed bolts. Just the drain plug, oil filter and filler plug. An oil change is only ten steps.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi all well here is the part in the manual,under the heading oil ad filter change .
check oil pressure by performing the following steps:

slightly loosen the oi check bolts on each cylinder head (2 diagrams)
start the engine and let it idle .Oil should seep from each loosened oil check bolt If it does not do so within one minute turn the engine of and discard motorcycle,no it doesnt say that turn engine of and inspect oil lines ,oil filter and pump for damage.
Turn engine off and tighten the oil check bolts to 15nm or 11ft/lb
Check for oil leaks once oil has settled check the oil levelas described in this section .Adjust oil level as necessary.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Hi all well here is the part in the manual,under the heading oil ad filter change .
check oil pressure by performing the following steps:

slightly loosen the oi check bolts on each cylinder head (2 diagrams)
start the engine and let it idle .Oil should seep from each loosened oil check bolt If it does not do so within one minute turn the engine of and discard motorcycle,no it doesnt say that turn engine of and inspect oil lines ,oil filter and pump for damage.
Turn engine off and tighten the oil check bolts to 15nm or 11ft/lb
Check for oil leaks once oil has settled check the oil levelas described in this section .Adjust oil level as necessary.
Sounds like they may be concerned with an air pocket in the oil system, just like the cooling system on my car that has bleed ports. Loosening those check bolts would allow air bubbles to escape. Just a guess!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 AM

I was thinking it was for making sure the Oil Pump was functioning properly mostly, but also to see if the lines are leaking causing a drop in oil pressure and to be sure the Filter is installed properly.

Marty

2013 V-Star 1300 Deluxe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM

from what I read in the service manual they are for checking to be sure the ports are clear and tha oil is getting up into the cylinders. This is what I understood from the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode