About to order a couple 2015 V-Stars... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

About to order a couple 2015 V-Stars...

I am the new "kid" on the block, and just made my first post in the "introductions" section, but it has been suggested to me that I should post my question here, so here goes!

I am planning to order two new V-Star's in the next couple of days; one for me, and one for my 19 year old daughter. She has never ridden before, and it has been decades since I last rode a bike. Last week the two of us made a 1,000 km round trip journey to St. John's, Newfoundland to check out the V-Star 250, (the closest dealership with a 250... it was a 2014, but identical to the new 2015's except the colour) which she immediately fell in love with, and admittedly, so did I! I am 5'8", 168 lbs, and I did not find it to be too small for me at all. (she is 5'4", 135 lbs.) I know folks are often quick to bash the little 250's, but I doubt I would outgrow it any time soon, as we only plan to do short, back-road rides, at speeds under 100 kph. (the limit is 50 to 80 km/hour here) But I just discovered that I can get a new 2015 650 Custom for only $2,000 more than the 2015 250, so I'm kinda sitting on the fence at the moment. I am hoping to talk to people who have had some experience with both of these models, to hear their thoughts. I have permanent spinal issues from a bad fall several years ago, so for me the lighter bike would be easier for me to manage, I think. I wish I had checked out the 650 while I was there. But I worry about its extra weight/bulk over the 250.

If anyone here here has riding experience on both models, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Glen

Last edited by camperbc; 09-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

be sure to check your introductions post for replies as well

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury. I have not owned either the 250 or the 650 but I do ride the 950. There is one very good thing about the V-star I like is the low center of gravity not to mention how low it rides. I'm also 5'8 and have had issues with heavy high center bikes. It may be a long round trip but if you haven't already purchased them I would set up a test ride. I know none of us ever think about laying one over but the lower the center of gravity is the better for me. I hope you and you daughter enjoy riding together... Ride safe

rwooley

2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 now with 7000 miles bought with 189 miles

To many new accessories, mods to list...

rwooley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:55 AM

If I was in your position, I wouldn't buy a new anything. The first bike or the first bike after a long period of not riding should be used. Regardless of what you think, both you and your daughter are going to drop them (usually stopped). It hurts to scratch up a new bike. There are tons of cheap good 650s on the market since they have been manufactured since the late 90s and they have changed very little. They will run in top gear from around or just over 30 MPH and they are low and easy to ride. There are also many accessories available for them form a lot of different places.

You should buy used to see if motorcycles are for you and your daughter. The world is full of almost new bikes for sale because people bought new bikes and found out that motorcycles were not for them.

I bought a 09 650 Midnight Special last year for $3,600 with 700 miles on it. It was a holdover that was sold new in 2011. It was like new and had $1,000 worth of accessories on it. When I was shopping, I found a lot of similar good buys.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
If I was in your position, I wouldn't buy a new anything. The first bike or the first bike after a long period of not riding should be used. Regardless of what you think, both you and your daughter are going to drop them (usually stopped). It hurts to scratch up a new bike. There are tons of cheap good 650s on the market since they have been manufactured since the late 90s and they have changed very little. They will run in top gear from around or just over 30 MPH and they are low and easy to ride. There are also many accessories available for them form a lot of different places.

You should buy used to see if motorcycles are for you and your daughter. The world is full of almost new bikes for sale because people bought new bikes and found out that motorcycles were not for them.

I bought a 09 650 Midnight Special last year for $3,600 with 700 miles on it. It was a holdover that was sold new in 2011. It was like new and had $1,000 worth of accessories on it. When I was shopping, I found a lot of similar good buys.
Thank-you to everyone who has been replying to my thread; much appreciated! I am so glad that I discovered this forum. A great bunch of people and a wealth of knowledge here.

I guess I should have mentioned, that although I have not ridden in a long time, I was in fact an avid (hardcore) rider for many, many years. So I already know that I love riding. And I will also say here that I have never in my life dropped a bike, and doubt that I ever will. I have many friends who have never dropped theirs either. If my daughter was to ever drop her bike, it's simply a matter of getting any damage repaired, and move forward. No need to avoid buying new for fear of damaging it, in my humble opinion. I think that if money is not an issue, a brand-spanking-new bike trumps a used one any day of the week!

Glen
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Thank-you to everyone who has been replying to my thread; much appreciated! I am so glad that I discovered this forum. A great bunch of people and a wealth of knowledge here.

I guess I should have mentioned, that although I have not ridden in a long time, I was in fact an avid (hardcore) rider for many, many years. So I already know that I love riding. And I will also say here that I have never in my life dropped a bike, and doubt that I ever will. I have many friends who have never dropped theirs either. If my daughter was to ever drop her bike, it's simply a matter of getting any damage repaired, and move forward. No need to avoid buying new for fear of damaging it, in my humble opinion. I think that if money is not an issue, a brand-spanking-new bike trumps a used one any day of the week!

Glen
I have to agree with osbornk.
I too was what I considered to be a "hard-core" rider 30 years ago. I, and many others have found that you loose a lot of skills over a long absence from riding.
Be careful about getting too confident out there.

That being said, I own both.
A '95 250 Virago (Same as a 250 V-star) and an '03 650 (lowered) Custom. Again, I have to agree with osbornk and disagree with the statement, "...a brand-spanking-new bike trumps a used one any day of the week!" Like osbornk, my '03 came with in excess of $1000 worth of the add-ons that I would have put on myself and would have had to pay for if it had come stock. Plus a never-used $100 pair of riding gloves. It was already lowered front and rear, had a new Jardine exhaust system, was newly jetted, a lot of extra chrome, was in new condition, had 1490 miles on it and I took it home for $3000.

The 250 had 2,869 miles on it, was in new condition except for the original tires, had extra chrome, a windshield, bags, stand-offs and helmets, and I took it home for $1500. So, for less than $800 more than I would have paid for a new 250 V-star (before tax, title and delivery fee), I got two beautiful bikes with extremely low mileage in primo condition.

I ride the 250 75% of the time. Don't even consider riding two-up on it except for a spur-of-the-moment or emergency. The 250 is just a lot more nimble. I can really throw the thing around out there. It's a city, commuter and rural bike. It's a breeze in stop and go, navigating around town, and cruising the country roads. You'll find it'll fatigue you on longer interstate jaunts. It drifts around quite a bit at higher speeds in the crosswinds. It's a lot like work to ride the 250 any distance on the interstate on a windy day.

The 650 is the opposite. It's not as nimble around town but it won't tire you out on extra long cruises and on the interstate. It's got just enough power to feel like it belongs on the interstate, but it's still a joy at lower speeds on the country roads. It's got just enough power that you can feel fairly safe riding two-up. I have to qualify that and say that the new jets and aftermarket exhaust boosted the power a bit.

I rode an '85 Honda 250 Special for the first year that I got back into it.
I bought the 650 and was very happy with it but missed the lighter bike for riding to work and back. So, I bought the 250. I continue to find deals on bling for them and I've never looked back. Since one of them had a lot of the extras already on it, I'll never run out of the money I saved by buying used. The way I've dressed the Virago, some people think it's a Sportster at first glance.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Virago on a rural group ride, but if I'm doing the 4-lane, the 650's coming out.

I think most here, including myself will recommend the 250 for a new rider for a lot of reasons, most of them obvious. If it were me, it would be the 250 for the daughter for the first full season. The downside of that is that most beginners quickly "outgrow" the 250 and go to something bigger, again for a lot of reasons, and again, most of them obvious. I don't think we're saying, "don't buy new." I think it's that we're saying something more like, "Don't buy new until you know exactly what you're going to want for the long term." Get your feet wet on a couple of great deals on beautiful almost-new bikes first. Get the miles in and then decide if you want to get your entire expenditure back to put down on a brand-new one. The one you know you want from the experience you've had with the used one. Hell, you might just keep the used one(s). Believe me, if they're the right ones, they have a tendency to really grow on you.

'03 650 Custom and '95 Cherry 250 Virago:
Kuryakyn Flame Grips. Chrome Covers.
Bullets w' 6.5W 350LM LED Bulbs.
Relocated Rear Signals.
Padded Sissy Bars and Luggage Racks

650:
Lowered. Jardine Rumblers.
Re-Jetted. Corbin Stinger Seat.
Mustang Tank Strap. Large Inspire Bags.
Yamaha OEM Windshield. Purple LEDs.

Virago:
Chrome Tank and Fender Trim. Eagle Embossed Fork Bag.
Classic Windshield. Mutazu LN Hard Bags w' Lights.

soloowners.net
srkowners.com

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 09-28-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM

My thoughts:
While your daughter may be happy on the 250 for a while, you will QUICKLY want more power. Having ridden in the past, the thirst for power easily returns. So, if you purchased two 2015 250's.. Id venture to say youre getting ready to lose your butt on the one you sell next spring for more power. Id check around see if you can find a left over 2014 or even 2013 650 for near the same price.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
My thoughts:
While your daughter may be happy on the 250 for a while, you will QUICKLY want more power. Having ridden in the past, the thirst for power easily returns. So, if you purchased two 2015 250's.. Id venture to say youre getting ready to lose your butt on the one you sell next spring for more power. Id check around see if you can find a left over 2014 or even 2013 650 for near the same price.
agreed, good choice on the 650. My 1100 is the first and only bike i have ever owned, let alone ridden and I have been told by many harley rider friends that it is significantly lighter than their bikes. The 650 sounds like it will be perfect for you. I've never regretted my bike choice (brand) and I have never had an issue with it. Good luck and have fun.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Like Ken said, there are a TON of bikes from '09s all the way to '14s with 0, 1, or 2 miles on the clock sitting in dealers' wharehouses all over the land. My local dealer has more than he'd like. I think he might have a new 1100 that's never been ridden. I don't think you'll find too many folks here that will diss on the 650 or the 1100. However it turns out, good hunting.

Honestly, I love my 650 and have way too much sentimentality invested, but if I had to do it over again I'd be looking for an 1100 with the same looks, miles, personality and sound. These guys are right hands down. The 1100 is a better practical all-purpose ride. Especially for 2-up and for keeping up with them thar Harley-birds. Seriously, even with the extra Hp from the pipes and jets, the 650 could use more power. And while we're at it, they both could use a 6th gear.

The 1100 is almost identically the same bike with a bigger engine.

'03 650 Custom and '95 Cherry 250 Virago:
Kuryakyn Flame Grips. Chrome Covers.
Bullets w' 6.5W 350LM LED Bulbs.
Relocated Rear Signals.
Padded Sissy Bars and Luggage Racks

650:
Lowered. Jardine Rumblers.
Re-Jetted. Corbin Stinger Seat.
Mustang Tank Strap. Large Inspire Bags.
Yamaha OEM Windshield. Purple LEDs.

Virago:
Chrome Tank and Fender Trim. Eagle Embossed Fork Bag.
Classic Windshield. Mutazu LN Hard Bags w' Lights.

soloowners.net
srkowners.com

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 09-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I think that if money is not an issue, a brand-spanking-new bike trumps a used one any day of the week!

Glen
I think what folks are trying to say here is don't spend all that money on a new bike until you know exactly what you want long term. The only way to know that is to ride something for a little while. Buy something used and save money. Once you have enough experience and knowledge then take your money and invest in what you now KNOW you want not what you "think" you want.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode