squeaky brakes on V Star 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

squeaky brakes on V Star 650

I've got a V Star 650, it's less than four months old. The front brakes squeak on and off. Sometime really loud. I'm told this is a common problem with entry level cruisers.

I sprayed regular brake cleaner all over everything first. Then I got that red disk quiet. I put disk quiet on the pad that didn't have a shim. That didn't help.

I got the brake pads in and out just removing one caliper pin. When I slid the caliper back over the pads it kinda looked like the contact points on the caliper just scraped the red goo out of the way.

At any rate, It still squeaks with the disk quiet. Will it help if I get higher performance brake pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM

I had the same problem when I got my 650 brand new in 2010. When I took it in for the first oil change, I brought it up to the mechanic and he said that they squeak because they stopped using asbestos in the brake pads.
Once the brakes warm up it goes away, but the first few stops are extremely annoying!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebz View Post
I had the same problem when I got my 650 brand new in 2010. When I took it in for the first oil change, I brought it up to the mechanic and he said that they squeak because they stopped using asbestos in the brake pads.
Once the brakes warm up it goes away, but the first few stops are extremely annoying!
It is the worst when I'm leaving my neighborhood. The first time I got rained on it went away for a while. The other day I had to brake hard going about 45 mph and it squeaked so loud it was kinda shocking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 PM

I put new brakes on my 1100 and they squealed something awful all the time. An auto mechanic friend suggested removing the pads and using a file to chamfer the edges of the pads. I was skeptical but he was right, the squeal went away. Been riding on them all summer and no more squeal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking897 View Post
I put new brakes on my 1100 and they squealed something awful all the time. An auto mechanic friend suggested removing the pads and using a file to chamfer the edges of the pads. I was skeptical but he was right, the squeal went away. Been riding on them all summer and no more squeal.
That actually sounds like it would work. I've seen other posts online where people say they "roughed up" the brake pads with a file, but didn't really go into any details. Did you go around the entire pads, or did you just do the leading edge?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 PM
SSC

Don't rough up the pads its a bad idea you can use Scotch Bright pads on the metal surface of the rotor will clean and scuff it a bit to help the pads seat. You can chamfer the brake pad edges a little bit but need to be carefull not to destroy the pad. Windex works best on noisy brakes

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
That actually sounds like it would work. I've seen other posts online where people say they "roughed up" the brake pads with a file, but didn't really go into any details. Did you go around the entire pads, or did you just do the leading edge?
I just went around the entire edge of the pad. I filed the edge at 45 degrees till I had a flat surface about 1/8" wide. Don't know what that does, just that it worked in my case.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 AM

If they stopped using pads with asbestos I assume they are now what is referred to as semi-metallic. I know on cages that type will squeak simply because it has more metal in it and we all know metal on metal squeaks. Maybe shop around for some replacement pads that are not semi-metallic.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM

My front squeaks too, but as mentioned the noise goes away after a few stops. Must be oxidization on the pads and/or brake disk surface that gets scrubbed away after a few stops.

2009 V Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode