What changes were made to 650 Custom in recent years? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

What changes were made to 650 Custom in recent years?

While this newbie browses online for various parts/accessories for the 2015 V-Star 650 that I have just ordered, I notice a great many listings stating "for 1999-2007", or " 1999-2010", etc. Does this mean there were possibly significant changes in these bikes after, say, 2007, or 2010? I have assumed the 650 Custom remains virtually unchanged to this day, but if so, then why are the companies not simply listing all the model years for their parts compatibility?

And how about the motor itself? Is the 2015's v-twin identical to one from well over a decade ago, or has there been increases in performance/fuel economy, etc. over the years?

I'm hoping some of you will chime in here with info about what changes, if any, that have occurred to the 650 Custom from the beginning to present? Or is it just the colours that have changed?

Thanks,
Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM

No recent changes that I am aware of. Early on they added catalytic converters and the stock pipes with cats are longer and the cross over pipe is in a slightly different location, you can tell which is which just by looking at it. At the same time they changed the electrics, the ECU is different early ones had 2 plugs on the box later ones have one long plug with many fine wires almost like something you'd find in a computer old ones were very simplified.

Electrical changes to go with the different ECU include fuel cut off solenoids on the carbs that reduce fuel flow at full throttle so the cats in your pipes don't catch on fire. They also changed the Pickup Coil and Stator wiring, old models those components were separate and had their own rubber grommets that fit together and created a oil leak point, older models those components are combined and all the wires for both go through the same grommet.

Various other little things like the early ECU models all the lights come on when you turn the key, with newer models the headlight won't come on until the engine starts etc.

I don't remember the specific date all of this stuff happened, California model bikes happened a year earlier than the 49 state bikes though. Somewhere around 2004ish, 2005? If you look in the part fische you could find out.

Mechanically everything is exactly the same across all years, with the exception of a longer exhaust mount that bolts on with the catalytic converter bikes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for your detailed reply! So much to learn from helpful people like you; I really appreciate it. So as I had assumed, almost any parts/accessories will work for any year of 650 Custom then. Not sure why the parts companies make things more difficult by listing incorrect/incomplete model years.

As the 2015's are not yet available here, I am ordering my two bikes basically sight-unseen. I had to rely on a few photos posted on the Yamaha Canada website, which appear to show a lot less chrome and a lot more black on the 2015 650 Custom, over last year's. But it is difficult to tell from the pictures. (I was actually hoping for lots of chrome) Looks as though the 250 will have a lot more shine than the 650 this year.

But I guess I won't know for sure until more info/photos become available. Odd too that the Canada site shows the 2015 models but the US site doesn't.

Thanks again for all the information!

Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM

I just looked at the Canadian website and the 2015 Canadian V Star 650 is the Midnight Custom model. At one time they were selling four different configurations at once.

The front end of the Midnight Custom is BADASS. I bought a new late model 2013 black V Star 650 Custom about four months ago. If I would have had the option of getting the Midnight Custom version I would have taken it.

On the regular V Star 650 custom, the caliper, fork bottoms, triple trees, risers, levers, lever housings, control boxes, and master cylinder are all "polished steel." They are not chromed. The caliper and the master cylinder have kind of a metallic flake paint. On the midnight Custom all of those items, plus the headlight bucket are black.

I think if they took the V Star 650 custom body, with the midnight custom front end, that would be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Hi Lynx,

Thanks for your detailed reply! So much to learn from helpful people like you; I really appreciate it. So as I had assumed, almost any parts/accessories will work for any year of 650 Custom then. Not sure why the parts companies make things more difficult by listing incorrect/incomplete model years.

As the 2015's are not yet available here, I am ordering my two bikes basically sight-unseen. I had to rely on a few photos posted on the Yamaha Canada website, which appear to show a lot less chrome and a lot more black on the 2015 650 Custom, over last year's. But it is difficult to tell from the pictures. (I was actually hoping for lots of chrome) Looks as though the 250 will have a lot more shine than the 650 this year.

But I guess I won't know for sure until more info/photos become available. Odd too that the Canada site shows the 2015 models but the US site doesn't.

Thanks again for all the information!

Glen
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi Kyle,

Yeah, I have to admit those blacked-out fork bottoms, calipers, levers, headlight, etc. are growing on me, even though I had just fallen in love with all the chrome seen on most of them. This version certainly makes for a great looking ("BADASS") bike, particularly considering the price tag.

As you have almost the very same bike, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, if you don't mind sharing your experience/expertise with a noob!

Thanks,
Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode