Starter button relocation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Starter button relocation

Now I know some of you have done this, and I see it quite often on bobber builds. Hoping for those who have experience with this can chime in and share some tips/how to's. I'd like to relocate the starter switch/button to a different location. How easy/difficult is it to do? and will that mean that I lose the kill switch function?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 PM

You can move it any place you want....it's easy to do if you understand automotive wiring basics. Buy a switch....mount it....run the wires to it. Same with the kill switch. Study the wiring diagram......solder and shrink tube all of the connections.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 10-02-2014 at 07:39 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok awesome, I kinda figured it's just a matter of having basic electrical knowledge but wanted to make sure. I appreciate the quick reply Mick! It was actually a comment of yours I read a while ago about having it in a "secret location" that got me wanting to so this lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:17 PM

Let me know what you decide to do. I'd love to see it. Been tossing this idea around myself.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM

im planning to do this over the winter, just doing my research now aswell and looking at swtiches etc. Just did the phelps exhaust mod 2 weeks ago and love that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM

I like these for the start button and micro toggles for the kill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201060759657?lpid=82

I do not support this ebay vendor and know nothing about them......it's just an example....

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Garage
I did a full handlebar switch deletion on my 85 shadow vt500 bobber. It has the same headlight off when starter button is pressed feature that most bikes use.

I jumped out my kill switch and ran a 5 pin relay throught the headlight circuit and through the momentary button that I used.

So when the key is turned on and i hit the button, the head light shuts off and the motor starts.

I also have the head light switch wired through a ON/OFF/ON toggle. hi/off/low beam.
If you do this you won't need a 5 pin relay. Just remeber to leave the headlight off during startups. I have mine wired through both so I don't need to worry about weather or not the head light switch is off.

You key becomes your kill switch like mine is. Basically the kill switch is not needed.

Here's my bobber, which is currently for sale.

2013 V Star 950 XVS. Purchased 10/14/14 as a left over with 0 miles.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 PM

I never used a relay on the start button on my 1100....been there for almost 5 years and no issues. It's already wired through a relay so there is really no need for a second one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode