Breaking Wind - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Breaking Wind

Morning all,

So here is the deal. I have another buffeting question, and I am not sure how to proceed. Looking for opinions.

I picked up an 09 1300 tourer and I LOVE it.

I do have some buffeting at higher speeds. Over 40MPH it starts but really doesn't get too bad until I get to 50-55+.

At highway speed I don't feel anything "slapping" or "hitting" me, but just a steady shake in the face and helmet area enough to slightly blur my vision.

Recently I took a ride when there was pretty strong crosswind, and every time a gust would come from one side of the bike or the other, it would disrupt the buffeting enough to see just how big of a difference it makes. My vision became crystal clear until that crosswind died down, causing the buffeting to return. I would love to get rid of, or at least reduce, that buffeting all the time. I have searched and read a tremendous amount on the net about it including this site.

I am basically looking for which direction to go first. I have looked at the Bucks Lowers, but I am not sure if they will make the difference, and at that price, it is an expensive trial and error. I also worry how it will fit around the highway bars. On his website it says something about requesting specific panels if you are using certain bars, but I don't know what brand my bars are, except that they don't look like Yamaha bars that I have seen in catalogs. I attached a pic or two if that helps anyone identify them. The second pic shows the clearance at full lock.

I have seen many recommend Memphis Shades fork deflectors, but when I called them they said that their product won't work with highway bars.

I have considered making my own, as I am pretty handy, and notching them around the bars for clearance when the wheel is turned to extreme left or right. Only problem with this is that I am not sure how nice aluminum will look next to everything else. I suppose I should stop treating it like a trophy piece. I picked up aluminum stock and 1/4" plexi (couldn't find actual lexan that thick), but I haven't started on it yet, in case I find a better solution.

I even read on some older forums that HD chrome lowers (part number 58121-85B) work well on 1300s, some even recommended mounting them reversed, but that part number doesn't seem to exist in their parts catalog now. I am guessing they just updated their part numbers and designs, but now I don't trust trying them.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone has a suggestion of what to start with I would be grateful.

'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer Galaxy Blue
New to me in 2014

"From thumb throttles to twist throttles in 35 years"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

You should be looking over the windshield.
Lowers do help a lot.
Your windshield is too narrow.

JJ

Let's ride some more !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Elk

For me the buffeting was so bad it was not rideable. I took the windshield off and will see about fixing it over the winter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 06:44 PM

I can tell you from experience, that when I put the lowers on my 1100 it was like night and day. The buffeting was gone. I found a set of NIB Yamaha OEM chrome lowers on ebay for under $30, so there are deals out there.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 AM

I say add some lowers. Like skyking I have or had them on my 1100. No buffeting at all. Well once I added my highway bars I had to remove them. Now I am about like you but maybe not quite as bad. If I try to focus on something off in the distance its shaking like you described. It's not so bad I can't live with it but would sure like to have them back. Been trying to figure out how to modify mine to make them work but I believe I would have to trim them so much it would take away from their effectiveness.

Oh and stop into any glass shop and you can find some 1/4 lexan or Polycarbonate. But honestly if you use poly, 1/8 is strong enough.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 10-10-2014 at 07:19 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Wink CutOut

Modify them.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 065.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	37538  

Let's ride some more !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I will check Ebay.

In the meantime I managed to get materials that I think will work and I am going to try to make some of my own lowers, using the existing shield mounts..

I am going to take pictures along the way, which I will post if it turns out good enough that I think anyone could benefit from them. Otherwise it will simply be an investment in learning the wrong way to do it!

I am hopeful that I can engineer this based on some info I've found online and adapt it to my needs. I am going to try 1/4" poly sandwiched between aluminum angle and aluminum flat stock, secured with SS bolts. I am also considering using some rouge to polish the aluminum up a bit. Still looking at shapes/dimensions for the lowers, and about sealing the aluminum. My thoughts are all over the place, but it gives me a project, and that makes me happy, since the forecast is nothing but rain for the weekend!

Thanks for the suggestions.

New to me in 2014

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:36 PM

If you've got the time to burn, by all means, make your own.

For $170, on the other hand, ain't much. Plus you can return it and the only note of caution I saw for your bike was 'barely' touching a certain bar which, if you can build your own, certainly you can modify his.

I have a set on my Strat and it is much better but not perfect. They were fine to deal with.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I spent the rainy weekend building my own with a few minor hiccups. By yesterday afternoon the rain stopped long enough to give them a try. At 50-60 there was almost nothing in the way of buffeting. At 70-80mph., I would get a bit here and there, but the vision was clear and I could read the road signs, license plates, and lettering on other vehicles with no trouble. It was very smooth, and very little head shake. For the $50 or so in materials I am very happy with the results. To be fair, I spent another $25 on a few tools to help (fine tooth jigsaw blade, buffing wheel for the bench grinder and rouge), but I don't mind adding to my tool collection. I also like working on projects with my father who came over to help out. It gave us some good quality time - neither of us are getting any younger.

I still have to dismantle them and polish the aluminum brackets up to a shine, but in principle they work like a charm.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. In the meantime, thanks to all for the suggestions and the advice.

New to me in 2014

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekraut View Post
Thanks. I spent the rainy weekend building my own with a few minor hiccups. By yesterday afternoon the rain stopped long enough to give them a try. At 50-60 there was almost nothing in the way of buffeting. At 70-80mph., I would get a bit here and there, but the vision was clear and I could read the road signs, license plates, and lettering on other vehicles with no trouble. It was very smooth, and very little head shake. For the $50 or so in materials I am very happy with the results. To be fair, I spent another $25 on a few tools to help (fine tooth jigsaw blade, buffing wheel for the bench grinder and rouge), but I don't mind adding to my tool collection. I also like working on projects with my father who came over to help out. It gave us some good quality time - neither of us are getting any younger.

I still have to dismantle them and polish the aluminum brackets up to a shine, but in principle they work like a charm.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. In the meantime, thanks to all for the suggestions and the advice.
Outstanding. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode