$32 Ebay Carb Sync - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

$32 Ebay Carb Sync

This was $32 bucks postage paid on Ebay. Sure you can make one with clear tubing cheaper, but this is nice cause I can keep it in a drawer in my tool box. I mounted it to a camera tripod to use.

Works great once you figure out the trick, which is not included in the instruction at all. It comes with two plastic valves. You have to cut up the hoses to use them. If you don't use the little white valves the needles spin like propellers. With the valves you can dial in the readings and even lock the measurement in.

It worked. When I first started the bike after putting on new pipes there was a strong vibration in the seat that I had never felt before. After a few tweaks, no vibration at all. I attached the hoses to the vacuum ports cold and rode around for a few miles with the other ends of the hoses plugged and stuck in my pocket.

The biggest complaint about this unit is the hoses are not long enough and they don't tell you that you have to use the valves to get the gauges to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb_sync.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	37530  

Last edited by Kyle76; 10-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM

looks a little more accurate than the mercury sticks. Plus, you probably don't get the shakes after using them.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy B View Post
looks a little more accurate than the mercury sticks. Plus, you probably don't get the shakes after using them.
You also don't have to worry about the engine sucking anything in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 PM

That's the same one I have been using and its great. The readings are accurate and the needles don't jump around if you only open the valves a little bit. The hoses can be longer but I just place the guages on the seat.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Nice score for $32.

Also, nice tool chest.. I have the exact same one. They are selling them this weekend for only $299
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by got-20z View Post
Nice score for $32.

Also, nice tool chest.. I have the exact same one. They are selling them this weekend for only $299
The tool chest is great, except first I got home, unboxed and assembled the bottom half. There was a huge dent, but it was in the back. Then I unbox the top half and it was totally smashed up. The lid wouldn't even open. So I had to load it back in the SUV and drive all the way back to Harbor Freight and start over. The second time they took one out of the boxes behind the shop and let me inspect it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Yup, I have the same unit. Once you get the gauges dialed in with the little valves this thing works great. I put longer tubes on as well for ease of use.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrobl1 View Post
Yup, I have the same unit. Once you get the gauges dialed in with the little valves this thing works great. I put longer tubes on as well for ease of use.
I am considering getting longer hoses. Even with it's stand, it is in the way when I stand the bike up.

How did you get rid of your carb solenoids. It is my understanding that if you take them out, the check engine light comes on. Is there any benefit to removing them other than having less crap in the way?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I am considering getting longer hoses. Even with it's stand, it is in the way when I stand the bike up.

How did you get rid of your carb solenoids. It is my understanding that if you take them out, the check engine light comes on. Is there any benefit to removing them other than having less crap in the way?
Sick Mick makes a kit that allows you to remove the solenoids and not have the light come on. Easy to install and easy on the wallet. The function of the solenoids is to not allow raw fuel to dump in to the catalytic converters so if you still have the stock exhaust on a 2006 or newer you need to keep them. Once you go to an aftermarket exhaust the solenoids serve no purpose.

Last edited by tstrobl1; 10-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Question....so if each tube has a valve to limit vacuum, how do you know you aren't throwing the readings off by having the valves adjusted differently? Do you just close both and open as close as you can to the same amount? Is that close enough or what? I have heard it suggested to put carb jets in the tubing so you get equal restriction. Just wondering how you guys handle this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode