Carb Sync.. ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Carb Sync.. ?

I noticed today while syncing the carbs on my bike.. it sounded better when i did it by ear.

2002 vstar 650 classic

Having some MPG issues and whatnot, started the bike warmed it up and drove it for a bit. I came back and while it was running (since i planned on syncing anyways), just to use a screwdriver and see if it made any noticeable difference. I turned the screw 1/2 turn left and it didnt sound better. I turned it back to where it was, then 1/2 turn the other way... ill be damned. Sounded great, rpms increased, flawless throttle response.

The only problem was than when i hooked up my homemade manometer, it was not synced at 1/2 turn, but more like .10 turn from where i last synced the carbs.

Anyone explain this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Garage
What I do when I sync my carbs is to bring it in sync at idle then I rev up to around 2000 rpm and check it again at that setting. I usually have to fine tune the sync a bit more but after that it rides gooood .

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
What I do when I sync my carbs is to bring it in sync at idle then I rev up to around 2000 rpm and check it again at that setting. I usually have to fine tune the sync a bit more but after that it rides gooood .
Might have to try that as well. I did notice that when revving the engine a bit between the manometer would fluctuate a an inch or so and if i held it, the rear cylinder would pull more fluid towards it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyovstar View Post
I noticed today while syncing the carbs on my bike.. it sounded better when i did it by ear.

2002 vstar 650 classic

Having some MPG issues and whatnot, started the bike warmed it up and drove it for a bit. I came back and while it was running (since i planned on syncing anyways), just to use a screwdriver and see if it made any noticeable difference. I turned the screw 1/2 turn left and it didnt sound better. I turned it back to where it was, then 1/2 turn the other way... ill be damned. Sounded great, rpms increased, flawless throttle response.

The only problem was than when i hooked up my homemade manometer, it was not synced at 1/2 turn, but more like .10 turn from where i last synced the carbs.

Anyone explain this?
One article I read about carb syncing said rpm will decrease when the carbs are properly synced.

However, I just did a quick carb sync. I only needed a tiny nudge on the screw to get them perfect. But it did seem to audibly increase rpms when I made the nudge. I also had a tach attached (of course it fluctuates), but it started reading higher.

I thing I have absolutely verified. I can let the bike idle for 6-7 minutes and get the needles perfect. Then if I ride 3 miles and do it again, it will be off some. Idling for several minutes is no substitute for riding a few minutes.

There may be multiple factors that would cause the idle speed to increase or decrease.

Last edited by Kyle76; 10-16-2014 at 01:41 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Im wondering if it has something to do with the a/f ratio in a particular cylinder. I have adjusted PMS screws to compensate for the slip on exhaust that i have, and if i start the bike on choke, the rear cylinder chugs out some smoke. Nothing major, just excessively rich... i dunno... pulling at strings here
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

I'm by no means an expert but I would think when everything is synced correctly the RPMs would naturally increase. Think about it...everything is getting even & smooth amounts of air & fuel. Just seems to me to be only natural to expect a small increase.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode