Gas cap - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Talking Gas cap

Hi all, just to let know check the two Philip head screws on the bottom of the gas cap. I bought a used 1100 V Star classic with 42000 miles on it. It came with a new gas cap and key and I did not much think about it. Until I kept hearing a strange noise when I stopped kind of hard. So thinking about it, just for kicks and giggles I stuck a telescoping magnet in the tank and I pulled out a washer, a screw, and two small springs. Ok fast forward, it's parts of the bottom of the gas cap. I had to drain the tank and remove it and use the magnet and a grabby thingy to pull out the rest of the steel and pot metal pieces. The hardest part was getting the little stainless steel ball bearing out. So apparently the previous owner had a screw loose or two. Just saying

Last edited by adamr; 10-19-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM

This seems to be a problem with many of the older 1100s. Mine is an 08 model, and the screws remain tight (knock on wood) although knowing that this has been a reocurring issue I give them a look at each fill-up.

My grandson has an 06 model and the guts of his gas cap fell into his tank while he and I were on tour this summer. We used duct tape to hold his cap on during the remaining portion of the trip, and when he got home he used a magnet and extended hemostat to rescue all the lock parts from his tank. He used lock-tight on the screws when he reassembled the cap.

I'd say there is a blessing hidden in all this that now you'll be able to use the single ignition key to open your tank rather than having two keys on your ring, one for the ignition and one for the tank cap.

Incidentally, I checked on the price of a replacement locking cap for his bike, $118. This alone made it worth the time and effort spent in fishing the parts out of his tank.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed

Last edited by Michael; 10-18-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad you could recover the parts and save some bucks. I don't know if the dealership where I bought the bike knew about the parts in the tank. I guess it would depend on what the previous told the dealer. But I got a baggie full of spare parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 AM

I am also missing a screw from the gas cap but I don't know if it fell out somewhere at a gas station or if it's inside the tank. Did you hear the screw in your tank? I shook my bike from side to side and I hear nothing but that may not mean it's not in there.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
I am also missing a screw from the gas cap but I don't know if it fell out somewhere at a gas station or if it's inside the tank. Did you hear the screw in your tank? I shook my bike from side to side and I hear nothing but that may not mean it's not in there.
I could not here any thing when I shook the tank side to side. I only could hear the parts move to the front when I did a hard brake. I had a whole lot of parts in the tank so they made a lot of noise. The best way to check is to use a telescoping magnet pen (they are pretty cheap) and fish around the tank. Less gas the better you might see it on the bottom using a flashlight. I hope you find it good luck.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Guess I'm going to have to add this to the watch list. lol who would have thought.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM

I stumbled on a sticky thread about this about 2 weeks ago. Sure enough, I went outside and mine were loose as well. 2006 1100 custom. I always wondered why the gas cap seemed to wiggle so much when it was sitting on the gas tank, after tightening the 2 screws it feels much more sturdy.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Screw Loose on gas cap

Thanks for the heads up all, good tips!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 PM

mine came apart about a month ago on my 650. Lost one screw in the tank. I could hear something rattling but didn't know what it was till i stopped for fuel. thank God for the small tool kit. Going to take the tank off before i put it away for the winter to retrieve the missing screw i can hear but can't see it to grab it with a magnate.

2016 FZ 07

2004 V Star 650 Classic (SOLD)
Vance and Hines Cruzers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM

If you can't fish it out with one of those telescoping magnets, you might be able to remove the petcock and drag it over to the hole with a strong magnet from the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode