Bad Starter??? what could be the issue? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Bad Starter??? what could be the issue?

its only been 3 weeks since i last rode my 04 vstar 1100 and now when i went to start it up, it started up right away , let off the choke and it idled normal like always for about a minute then poof, it died... tried to start it again and nothing, the only way it would start is if i cranked it and gave it throttle, but then it would die as soon as i stopped giving it throttle.... what could have happened"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM

ok first off if the starter motor is turning the engine over when you push the button then it's not the starter.
Just repeating what others have stressed here over & over but do not give the bike throttle while cranking. Opening the throttle advances the timing, which can result in the engine kicking back against the starter and damaging the starter.

Did you allow it enough time to warm up before closing the choke completely? That would be my guess. You closed the choke too soon then for whatever reason it just didn't want to start. Mine will do the same thing sometimes. If it doesn't start right off or starts then cuts off, I usually have to spin it a bit to finally get it running.
I'm sure others with more knowledge will add something here for you that may be more help.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
ok first off if the starter motor is turning the engine over when you push the button then it's not the starter.
Just repeating what others have stressed here over & over but do not give the bike throttle while cranking. Opening the throttle advances the timing, which can result in the engine kicking back against the starter and damaging the starter.

Did you allow it enough time to warm up before closing the choke completely? That would be my guess. You closed the choke too soon then for whatever reason it just didn't want to start. Mine will do the same thing sometimes. If it doesn't start right off or starts then cuts off, I usually have to spin it a bit to finally get it running.
I'm sure others with more knowledge will add something here for you that may be more help.

my bad, my head was all over the place when i wrote the thread, i meant to say fuel pump not starter... sorry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode