Idling/Backfiring issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Idling/Backfiring issues

I have an 03 1100 Custom and am currently experiencing issues with idling and backfiring. a few months back, my first issue was with the idling. When I would come to a stop, I would have to put the choke at 1/2 to 3/4 to keep it from choking out. I had a friend help me adjust the idle screw to have it actually idle. Now the problem is that when it is idling, it pops and backfires while in idle. Additionally, when I am driving, it works well but when I ease off on the throttle, it backfires like an 18 wheeler going down a long grade. I've been told the fuel is too rich and also too lean. Thinking that it may have been bad gas, I drained the tank and added Sea Foam. Due to other circumstances, have not been able to drive it any distance to see if that would make any difference.
Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated. BTW, I am by no means a great mechanic so if adjustments are necessary, pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpres3 View Post
I have an 03 1100 Custom and am currently experiencing issues with idling and backfiring. a few months back, my first issue was with the idling. When I would come to a stop, I would have to put the choke at 1/2 to 3/4 to keep it from choking out. I had a friend help me adjust the idle screw to have it actually idle. Now the problem is that when it is idling, it pops and backfires while in idle. Additionally, when I am driving, it works well but when I ease off on the throttle, it backfires like an 18 wheeler going down a long grade. I've been told the fuel is too rich and also too lean. Thinking that it may have been bad gas, I drained the tank and added Sea Foam. Due to other circumstances, have not been able to drive it any distance to see if that would make any difference.
Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated. BTW, I am by no means a great mechanic so if adjustments are necessary, pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
If you have to pull the choke to keep it from dying, that means it is too lean.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 PM

1.) make sure you idle speed is set at 950-1000 RPM...no guessing...get a tach and make sure

2.) Check for vacuum vacuum leaks....like the rubber cap on the front cylinder synch port

3.) If all of that is set, if there is still an issue, it is most likely crap stuck in the pilot jets. Remove the carbs and clean them including the side holes.

4.) If you don't know where or what these things are, get a shop manual and start learning......or do it the easy way and take it to somebody that knows the score and save all the pain and heartache of trying to learn.

5.) If you want to learn, everything you need to know is right here....... start reading every word and follow every link. It would also be a VERY good idea to start with the "New Owner" section....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 10-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode