Pronounced driveline lash: 2014 V-Star 1300T - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Pronounced driveline lash: 2014 V-Star 1300T

I have a new 2014 V-Star 1300 Touring purchased on Sept 26, 2014. Delivered with 0.0 kms. Now has approximately 670 kms. I purchased this bike because of all the favourable reviews, both by owners and the media. For me it hits that sweet spot for size, power and price. I think I got an exceptional late season deal. Right now it's at the shop for a very pronounced and annoying driveline lash. Every time I roll off or roll on the throttle I get a clunk. Something in the driveline is slack and the slack is taken up and released very abruptly every time I get on and off the throttle. I noticed some stretching in the throttle cable which increased the throttle play so I adjusted it to specs. Same for clutch cable. Feathering the clutch when getting back on the gas helps, but it is annoying to have to do this. The dealer is not aware of this issue but agreed to take it in to look at it when they get the time. I left it with them rather than wait till Nov for an appointment. I have a 2008 Vulcan Touring as well should the urge hit me. I am wondering if this is an anomaly with my bike or if it is a common issue. I have read about it in online forums but it seems rare with this model. I would certainly like to hear from others with this bike. Thanks.

Ride safe and be alert at all times.

Last edited by Star Struck; 10-23-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Yours sounds like it might me a bit excessive but it is common to the 1300. I had to learn to feather the clutch at times. Congratulations on purchasing one of the best motorcycles made today.

2012 Yamaha V Star 1300T / Mustang Seat / Star Deluxe Fairing
"Living in a powder keg and giving off sparks"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM

I agree, the lash is annoying as hell. Coupled with snatch makes low speed riding a chore. Try riding that bike in a parade. I'll never do that again.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Unless the dealer comes up with a fix, I may be doing a lot of low speed feathering around town. On the other hand, to get to the dealer 40 minutes away I had to travel on our Trans Canada Highway for the first time this past Tuesday. The engine felt so relaxed compared to my older Vulcan 900 which revs so much higher. A little twist got me from 120 to 140 (kph) in no time. Speed limit is 100, approx 60 mph. Plenty fast for a newbie, but I was cruising between 110 and 120 with almost no traffic.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:06 PM

I don't think there's any way to take the lash out. If you do an O2 mod or a fuel controller you should at least be able to take the snatch out of it. It will bug you less the more you ride the bike.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Got my ride back.

Two days ago I got my bike back after being in the shop for 10 days. I didn't really miss it because it has been too wet and cold to enjoy riding. Riding season is pretty much over where I live. As for the driveline lash, the dealer could do nothing. It's just something I have to live with. It was a cold but sunny ride home, but I was dressed for the weather and enjoyed it. While in the shop, I had the first servicing done as well. All I have to do now is fill the tank, add fuel stabilizer and wait till May. My wife won't let me keep it in the bedroom for the winter so I have to keep it in our heated garage. In the meantime, when winter arrives in full force I will enjoy the snow with my Ski-doo GTX 500SS.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...9b&oe=54E83DC3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM

I own a 2009 and had the same issues in first/second. Most forum information spoke about drilling the exhaust and air cleaner cover.
Some mention drilling out the internal baffle on the exhaust but I opted to drill out the end flange. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled 5 holes semicircle at the bottom of the flange. It gives the exhaust a bit more rumble but also scavenges better. I also drilled out the fresh air intake cover front and rear. At the moment there is an air tube pulling hot air off the engine. by drilling small holes in row/column you can allow additional fresh air to flow into the intake. So far this has improved performance and fuel mileage.
Since your in Canada your speed limits are comparable to those in the eastern US 60/65 mph. I live in Texas so we're running 75/80 mph and since the engine is running high RPM, any improvements in Mpg is welcome.

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode