V-star 950 Front Tire Wobbles & SHAKE when take hands off Bars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

V-star 950 Front Tire Wobbles & SHAKE when take hands off Bars

I have a 2009 V-Star 950 and I have been reading up on this issue. I never noticed this before and I take my hands off every now and then while riding.

NOTE**My bike got rear ended last month while I was stopped (car wasn't going too fast) and I just got it back from the shop.

When I'm riding and take off both hands from the grips at 30-45 MPH (don't know the exact MPH?) the front tire starts to wobble and after a few seconds I need to grab the bars to get control of it.

Checked front pressure, it was at 25 lbs., LOW, so I added air up to 37 PSI and took it out tonight for a test ride.

However, the front tire and handlebars were still wobbling. It doesn't do it ALL the time, EVERY single time I take my hands OFF the grips, but at certain speeds, etc. it does it, and, I NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE?

While my bike was getting repaired ($2,300) at the shop, I got them to add my OEM Yamaha HARD BAGS I bought off a forum member. I doubt that is it, but maybe the additional DRAG made me notice it?

I read something about adjusting and or tightening the steering stem, BUT not sure what to do? I know their is a LARGE single NUT Below the ignition, do I check and tighten this?

Not sure if this is even the issue? Also was told it could be the front tire that is unevenly worn, or unbalanced? It makes me uncomfortable as I like the bike to be smooth. I don't notice ANYTHING when riding normal, but something isn't right.

Should I take it to dealer and try to get them to fix it as part of the wreck? SINCE it never did this before? If it's an easy fix, I'd like to just fix it myself, but it is bothering me and I am slightly concerned eek:

Thanks Guys!

The Bandit...............

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Garage
I would bring it ba k to the dealer and have them check it out,check the wheel for trueness, balance if required or change out the tire. They have the tools to do this.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Corsair

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Bandit you can put ride on tire balance and sealer in your tires. I put it on with my commander II tires and it works great. At least this way you will know if it's just out of balance and it also seals punctures. Other than that could be a bent rim or maybe you need to add bar weight if you didn't already.

Vance and Hines Big Radius
Cobra Sissy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Show Chrome Belt Guard
Show Chrome Regulator Cover
Kurakyn Oversized Flame Footboards
Kuryakyn ISO Wings Rear Passenger Boards
Kuryakyn ISO Flame Grips
Kuryakyn Handlebar Weights
Kuryakyn Chrome Rear Break Peddle
Kuryakyn Front Chrome Master Cylinder Cover
DDM Tuning HID Kit 55W 1200K
Custom Dynamics 120 LED Rear Light
Custom Dynaics GEN2 Magic Brake Flasher
Geezer Glide Custom Seats
Baron Enfurno Big Air Kit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Jay,

Thanks I don't know what that is, but off to research NOW. I rode today and it only wobbled SOME of the time? A few times it was REALLY bad. Then I tried to make it happen at various speeds and it wasn't working, maybe a good thing?

I was running it up to 55 then and various speeds and taking hands off. The 2 times it did it I was likely going around 35 mph.

I guess it is a good thing it wasn't happening ALL the time. I got Commander front and rear about 2,000 miles ago, and then because of my accident, they JUST replaced the REAR tire with a new Commander.

I am hoping it is just the tire out of balance, BUT, why would it only do it sometime????

Again the one time it wobbled, it started small, then at the end I had to grab it as the bars were really vibrating HARD.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

http://www.ride-on.com/

Ride On Link for anyone else....

Bandit....

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Here are my guesses:

"generally" if a tire wobbles on a car or bike at a certain speed, I check the balance. The collision could have knocked a weight off the front and it wasn't checked since it wasn't part of the collision?

"specifically" if you have spoked rims, they can be un-true and cause wobble but I would think it would be always and not just at certain speeds.

either way, the shop can check for both and fix either.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009VStar950Bandit View Post
Jay,

Thanks I don't know what that is, but off to research NOW. I rode today and it only wobbled SOME of the time? A few times it was REALLY bad. Then I tried to make it happen at various speeds and it wasn't working, maybe a good thing?

I was running it up to 55 then and various speeds and taking hands off. The 2 times it did it I was likely going around 35 mph.

I guess it is a good thing it wasn't happening ALL the time. I got Commander front and rear about 2,000 miles ago, and then because of my accident, they JUST replaced the REAR tire with a new Commander.

I am hoping it is just the tire out of balance, BUT, why would it only do it sometime????

Again the one time it wobbled, it started small, then at the end I had to grab it as the bars were really vibrating HARD.
Bandit

You can get through Amazon. If it's out of balance it would only shake at certain speeds. Also if you use ride on you don't need the weights. You can leave them on or take them off it doesn't matter. The ride is great you are gonna love it.

Vance and Hines Big Radius
Cobra Sissy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Show Chrome Belt Guard
Show Chrome Regulator Cover
Kurakyn Oversized Flame Footboards
Kuryakyn ISO Wings Rear Passenger Boards
Kuryakyn ISO Flame Grips
Kuryakyn Handlebar Weights
Kuryakyn Chrome Rear Break Peddle
Kuryakyn Front Chrome Master Cylinder Cover
DDM Tuning HID Kit 55W 1200K
Custom Dynamics 120 LED Rear Light
Custom Dynaics GEN2 Magic Brake Flasher
Geezer Glide Custom Seats
Baron Enfurno Big Air Kit
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM

I would check your torque on the neck bearings. Jack your bike up off of the ground and see how easy your front end falls from side to side. It should not just flop one way or the other. It should just easily move from center to one side. If it just falls to the steering stop with no resistance, you need to tighten the nut that snugs up the steering bearings. A tire would have to be pretty bad for a Yamaha to have steering shake.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillyman View Post
I would check your torque on the neck bearings. Jack your bike up off of the ground and see how easy your front end falls from side to side. It should not just flop one way or the other. It should just easily move from center to one side. If it just falls to the steering stop with no resistance, you need to tighten the nut that snugs up the steering bearings. A tire would have to be pretty bad for a Yamaha to have steering shake.

Update, rode today November 2nd. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it several times as I tested it a dozen times or more while riding.

Gilly, I knew this was a possible fix, but wasn't sure which Bolt to tighten? It isn't the Large one under the Key, is it? That would be too easy! I heard you need a special tool to do this? true?

It is bugging the heck out of me. When I am on a super smooth road, it doesn't seem to do it. The road surface seems to have some impact on it, I looked at the road when it does it BAD, and the road had snake (squiggly) groves the same way of my tire tread, like if you made hundreds of "S's" in a row.

I usually bring it up to 60, or 50, then let go with Hands over the grips so it is safe. It does it BAD sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It starts out small, then BUILDS and gets really WOBBLY!

I am going to bring it in. The only thing that was added, are Yamaha HARD Saddle Bags, a New Back Tire, and the front Commander Tire has about 2,000 miles on it and 6 months of weekend riding.

I am HOPING it is just the Balance. There IS a weight on front rim, but maybe it need to be rebalanced.

AS soon as I put pressure on the Hand Grips, the shake goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode