Clutch slipping when cold - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Clutch slipping when cold

The past few times I have ridden I have noticed a little slipping on hard acceleration early in a ride. Once I ride 20 mins or so it seems to disappear. I'm assuming getting to full operating temp is what's causing it to stop. Is this just the normal signs of the clutch in the early stages of needing replacement? Bike has a little over 22K miles. Engine oil level is correct as well.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 10-28-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Sounds like it just may need adjustment on the bottom end

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mick, I will check that as soon as I have a chance. Another tidbit of info, I have only owned this bike about 6mths and its my first. I have always noticed it took very little movement of the lever to allow me to shiftand the friction zone is almost nonexistant. I have heard these things have a small friction zone so I never thought much of it and just dealt with it. Anyway, while paying more attention to it today I would say that in no more than about 1/2" movement of the lever the clutch seems to be completely released. Would these symptoms also be consistent with an out of adjustment cable?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Floorboard extensions
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Thanks Mick, I will check that as soon as I have a chance. Another tidbit of info, I have only owned this bike about 6mths and its my first. I have always noticed it took very little movement of the lever to allow me to shiftand the friction zone is almost nonexistant. I have heard these things have a small friction zone so I never thought much of it and just dealt with it. Anyway, while paying more attention to it today I would say that in no more than about 1/2" movement of the lever the clutch seems to be completely released. Would these symptoms also be consistent with an out of adjustment cable?
The lower end is not a cable adjustment, it's the adjustment for the release rod. Follow the shop manual for proper adjustment. There's more info on it in the wKB too.....it's a good idea to check there for things you have questions about.....most everything is in there.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...repairs/clutch

As far as cable adjustment, I've never had an issue with "friction zone" or whatever they call it on my 1100. Just adjust it on the top end for where you like the release point to be.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok I'm digging up this old thread because I'm still having issues. I made the adjustment that mick suggested back last fall but never got to ride again until today. Well now she won't even get out of her own way. Just wondering if I should just replace the clutch or is there something else to check first. FWIW this thing didn't see 200 miles since 2008 until I bought it last April. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:22 PM

since replacing the clutch is costly i will beg to ask when you turned the lower adjustment screw in how far did it turn before you felt resistance?more than a quarter turn.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Honestly I'm not sure cause it was back in Oct.when I did it. I do seem to remember being unsure of when to stop the screw. I plan on pulling the cover and rechecking it cause I was wondering if I had caused more harm than good.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Floorboard extensions
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:24 PM

when you turn that screw in just use your fingertips there is very light resistance.when i adjusted mine the screw only turned in 1/8th of a turn,then i backed it out 1/4turn.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I know when I first got my bike. I did the oil change with 10w 30
pennsoil. After that when on the gas hard like to pass the clutch would slip a bit. I thought it was the clutch going out.

Come to find out these bikes do not like regular CAR oil. Friction modifier (energy conserving) in these oils are not made for wet clutch like a bike.

I installed a set of Barnett Clutch springs adjusted the clutch and changed the oil to 5 W 40 Rotella T6 and all has been good since.

Does not slip at all even under hard take off's...

Oil type can do that... Make it slip ...

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 03-15-2015 at 05:41 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Come to find out these bikes do not like regular CAR oil. Friction modifier in these oils are not made for wet clutch like a bike.

I installed a set of Barnett Clutch springs adjusted the clutch and changed the oil to 5 W 40 Rotella T6 and all has been good since.

Does not slip at all even under hard take off's...

Oil type can do that... Make it slip ...
That is not true. Regular "CAR oil" works perfectly fine, you just need to stay away from anything with "Energy Conserving" on the label. Usually anything above 10W30 will be safe to use....just make sure it doesn't have the designation on the bottle. I've used it in every motorcycle I've ever had and never had a clutch issue.

Energy Conserving contains a small amount of moly which is not good for a wet clutch. That is what makes it energy conserving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode