Front forks on xvs 650 custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Front forks on xvs 650 custom

Hi guys. Can anyone explain to me how to drain the fork oil out and refill on my 06 yamaha 650 v star custom? I am asking this question because it seems to have sagged in the front a fair amount and close to bottoming out when riding.. I have been told to replace the oil but in saying that there has been no oil leaks so it should still have plenty of oil them.. could this be springs instead? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:15 PM

If your forks are sagging and bottoming out, you need springs not fork oil. All the fork oil does is control your dampening.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:24 PM

No idea on the technical details of your problem but theoretically you are supposed to change the fork oil every year anyway sooooo.....

I often find that searching youtube give me answers to this kind of "how do I do that" question that supplement any answers the mechanically minded gurus of this site give

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok.. I was leaning towards just doing the springs anyway.. it just didn't seem like a common problem and thought it would take alot before springs would fail..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM

You'll probably want to change the fork seals too. Usually there is some leakage which can lead to poor fork performance. I've never seen an issue with the springs on a V Star, however some riders to prefer to put in Progressive springs which are a little stiffer. It's usually always the fact that the oil is extremely dirty and that some of it has leaked out. The V Star 650's are pretty soft in the front even new...so any loss of fluid just makes it even worse.

I always tear the forks apart when changing the oil, however some just pour the old oil out after removing the top cap. IMO that gets the oil out but leaves all the crap in the bottom.....and there is always lots of that...even after a couple years of use.

HERE is a link on how to do 1100 forks which are identical to the 650.

That should get you going..... it's a pretty easy job if you take your time and follow the directions....just plan a full day.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 10-29-2014 at 05:55 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Cool.. thanks guys for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode