Clutch friction/steel plates or pressure plate? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Clutch friction/steel plates or pressure plate?

Hey all, have a clutch problem with my 2002 xvs1100. A couple years ago I swapped in a new(er) engine (good deal off a wreck, was younger than my original and cheaper than the repair). It only has about it only has about 18k miles on it.
I've never had to open up the right side yet as everything seemed fine for a long time. However recently I've felt the clutch slipping at high speed, and it seems to be getting worse fairly quickly (or I'm noticing it more, either way it's got to be fixed).

I've done the lower end cable adjustment already, and it didn't seem to help. It seems I'll need to open it up but I wanted some advice first. I can't be sure how the previous owner treated it in the first 14k miles, but is it reasonable to expect that the friction and steel plates are done already? Or is this a common problem with this model? I've seen mention of Barnett pressure plate/spring upgrade kit, and from reviews it seems this alone has solved the problem for some. Does anyone else have experience of it?

If I were to get it would it be advisable to go ahead and replace all the plates with it? Or is that kit unnecessary and the plates alone probably need replacing. I realize the best way to tell is to actually inspect everything and I will have to do that soon, but just putting it out there to see if anyone's dealt with it before and could say with confidence what is best to change so I can maybe get the parts in the pipe and minimize downtime.

Any advice appreciated.

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM

double up the clutch spring
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 PM

When my clutch goes....I'm going to go with the Barnett set up.

With that said.....I'd want to get a look at what was going on before I did anything. I've rarely ever replaced the steels, but if I have the clutch out, I usually just replace the frictions if there is some miles on them. They aren't that much....and I like the peace of mind.

Or like Nick says.....double the clutch spring......unless of course the frictions are shot.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM

doubling the spring would only buy a bit of time,plates are about $88.00 at boats.net
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Thanks for the help guys.

Nick, when you say double up the clutch spring, are you saying simply stack another one on top of the first, behind the pressure plate, and there's clearance for everything?

boats.net looks like they have them at $65. That probably the best price? The Barnett conversion kit seems to be $150 shipped from Amazon. Is that overkill here?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 PM

two will fit on there nicely,overkill hell yes unless you want a decal
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Wha oil are you using?

I use Castrol RS-V twin, it is designed for Motorcycles with a wet clutch. It is SPECIFICATIONS

API SERVICE: Exceeds API SL
JASO (T903): JASO MA-2
VISCOSITY: SAE 20W-50

JASO MA-2 is for the wet clutch
http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-...duct-page.html

There are many oils with the JASO MA-2 specs, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, btw, I replaced the clutches and added the Barnett springs, slightly harder pull but no slippage at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode