Anyone ever get pulled over for their pipes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever get pulled over for their pipes?

Finally got around to putting a slip on exhaust on my 950. I absolutely love the sound and how loud it is. But it's quite loud on acceleration, so I was wondering if anyone here's had any issues with being pulled over or being cited.

For reference I'm in southern California, just put on rush slip ons with 2" baffles. According to reports online, decibel levels are 95/110 idle/throttle. I've yet to test on my own.

FTW
------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Garage
I can only speak for my part of Canada but, yes I did get pulled over for having loud pipes. I have to explain how it works here in my province though. We have a double jeopardy law right now. On the one hand we have a law that states that it's illegal to modify the exhaust system. This archaic law uses a length of wire to determine if you modified the exhaust system by removing the baffles. The other one is still in the "study" phase and utilizes a sound meter to determine the level of sound (100 db at 2500 rpm).

When I got stopped, the cop told me that the new sound meter test was crap and that he was fully trained in the wire technique. He then proceeded to give me a lesson on how mufflers work; I'm a mechanic . In any case, he didn't seem aware that technolgy advances. Long winded but yes you could get stopped and checked for noise level.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATOPH View Post
Finally got around to putting a slip on exhaust on my 950. I absolutely love the sound and how loud it is. But it's quite loud on acceleration, so I was wondering if anyone here's had any issues with being pulled over or being cited.

For reference I'm in southern California, just put on rush slip ons with 2" baffles. According to reports online, decibel levels are 95/110 idle/throttle. I've yet to test on my own.
Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on your local laws. They are different everywhere. Otherwise you're just making baseless assumptions. Google is your friend.......

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:25 AM

A while back, my son and I were riding through the Bakersfield area, on our way to Vegas. We passed a CHP trooper that had a car pulled over. The old stink-eye he gave us lead me to believe that had he not been busy, we may have been his next customer.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM

I got pulled over for a car muffler being to loud once years ago (it had rust holes in it). It was pure harassment though, and I didn't get a ticket. There is a gun show held several times a year in Hilliard, Ohio. The totalitarian control freaks on city council hate the gun show. They can't legally stop it, so they order Hilliard city police to harass people coming in and out of the show all weekend long. You can sit out there and watch people being pulled over left and right all day long.

In my case, the cop followed me for a half mile and then the instant I hit my turn signal to pull into the show, he turned on his blue lights. The cop comes up to the window and says my muffler is too loud. Then he demanded to know how many guns I own, ect. and completely forgot about the muffler.

I'm told that some individual cities are shaking down bikers for city revenue. They will pass a city ordinance against loud mufflers and target bikers from out of town.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

maybe this guy

i'm calling BS on those reported decibels. maybe if your ear were pressed up against the muffler.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post

i'm calling BS on those reported decibels. maybe if your ear were pressed up against the muffler.
Yeah, I thought so too. Tested mine out today with a decibel meter, and it's way off. You're supposed to measure at 50 feet away too, in CA at least. At about 15 feet away, i got 82/95. So not worried about it at all.

FTW
------
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATOPH View Post
Yeah, I thought so too. Tested mine out today with a decibel meter, and it's way off. You're supposed to measure at 50 feet away too, in CA at least. At about 15 feet away, i got 82/95. So not worried about it at all.
I think 115-120 decibels is considered a typical threshold of pain.

Last edited by Kyle76; 11-13-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Watch the South Park episode, I think it is simply called, "Fags." It explains why 99% of people think loud pipes are a douch bag thing. But it is funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode