Bobber Rear Fender questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Bobber Rear Fender questions

Hey guys,

I am looking to turn my 99' Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom into a bobber over the winter. Now, I've been looking around for a rear bobber fender for my bike and all I can really find is the Blue Collar Bobbers kit, in which you have to buy the seat so that's about a 700-800 dollar purchase. Not saying I'm cheap at all haha, the kit looks really nice and you are paying for a quality product from them. And I do realize that I will have to change my stock seat, but I might just buy a pan and spring kit to make it myself. Thing is with that kit, I don't want to look like everyone else.

Other than that there is a few others I've seen on eBay that aren't as good quality or looks for myself, but cheaper. And then there is just buying a larger, full rear and fabricating it to my liking I suppose. I'm not a body guy, but if my co-workers father can chop a 32' Chevy into a drag car I might ask them if they can give me a hand.

Just to make sure I am not missing any other sites or styles of rear bobber fenders, you guys have any suggestions or know of any shops that make them?

I did see this wild, sharp fish scale type fender somewhere. Looked pretty neat but I'm not too sure.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jon_Ov_Long_Hair; 11-14-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM

You may want to try the 650ccnd.com forum. It is V Star 650 only. Lots of people with heavily modified bikes, and lots of people who like to do stuff on the cheap.

I know seat pans are really expensive. If you have access to some nice sheet metal tools, I think it would be pretty easy to fabricate one. Then you could get any solo seat you wanted, not just a blue collar bobbers one.

I like the idea of chopping up the stock fender. I see people selling their stock fenders on ebay and I thought about buying one to experiment with. If it goes bad, no big deal cause I still have my stock one.

Here is the most hard core chop job on a stock fender I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Ov_Long_Hair View Post
Hey guys,

I am looking to turn my 99' Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom into a bobber over the winter. Now, I've been looking around for a rear bobber fender for my bike and all I can really find is the Blue Collar Bobbers kit, in which you have to buy the seat so that's about a 700-800 dollar purchase. Not saying I'm cheap at all haha, the kit looks really nice and you are paying for a quality product from them. And I do realize that I will have to change my stock seat, but I might just buy a pan and spring kit to make it myself. Thing is with that kit, I don't want to look like everyone else.

Other than that there is a few others I've seen on eBay that aren't as good quality or looks for myself, but cheaper. And then there is just buying a larger, full rear and fabricating it to my liking I suppose. I'm not a body guy, but if my co-workers father can chop a 32' Chevy into a drag car I might ask them if they can give me a hand.

Just to make sure I am not missing any other sites or styles of rear bobber fenders, you guys have any suggestions or know of any shops that make them?

I did see this wild, sharp fish scale type fender somewhere. Looked pretty neat but I'm not too sure.

Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I know seat pans are really expensive. If you have access to some nice sheet metal tools, I think it would be pretty easy to fabricate one. Then you could get any solo seat you wanted, not just a blue collar bobbers one.
I'm not sure what you consider expensive....I had a pan custom made, drilled and etc for $40 shipped. All I had to do was add padding and a cover. I've got less than $75 total into it with all the mounting hardware.....and it's good thick steel, not like most I've seen that you can bend with your fingers.....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
I'm not sure what you consider expensive....I had a pan custom made, drilled and etc for $40 shipped. All I had to do was add padding and a cover. I've got less than $75 total into it with all the mounting hardware.....and it's good thick steel, not like most I've seen that you can bend with your fingers.....
I meant the part that sits on the frame that the the actual seat sits on top off. The V Star 650 seat pans I have seen online are always around $150.

Blue Collar Bobbers charges $300 for a solo seat that comes with a seat pan.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I meant the part that sits on the frame that the the actual seat sits on top off. The V Star 650 seat pans I have seen online are always around $150.

Frame Filler Plate, the Seat Pan is what the foam and cover go on
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Like mentioned above, you sit on the pan.....the other is just a cover.

A $5 piece of leather works just fine or 20 minutes with some fiberglass, then another 20 minutes to trim and fit. Not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money for something so easy to make.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 PM

Never seen that bike pic before but that is almost exactly how I did my rear fender. I bought a second fender off Ebay for 30 bucks. Cheap because the previous owner got rear ended (ouch) and the end was smashed in. That was fine for my use as all the damage was going to be cut away anyway. I masked off were I wanted the cuts and the owner of a local metal shop, cut it for me for only 20 dollars. Not the cleanest of cuts but an hour or so with a Dremmel, and it came out really good. So not bad for 50 bucks.

I went this route because I always liked everything about the bobber look EXCEPT I've always hated how the seats look sitting there on springs. To each their own but defiantly not my cup of tea. This way I can still use a stock style seat (in my case, a potato chip seat) for, in my opinion a cleaner look. Plus I can still put a pavilion on it for anytime I might need to carry a passenger. So just putting it out there as a more affordable option for OP.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM

That is pretty much my line of thinking. I'd like to make the rear fender smaller, but I want to keep the stock seat. One reason I went with the V Star is because of the seat. The seats on the Hondas all felt uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalma View Post
Never seen that bike pic before but that is almost exactly how I did my rear fender. I bought a second fender off Ebay for 30 bucks. Cheap because the previous owner got rear ended (ouch) and the end was smashed in. That was fine for my use as all the damage was going to be cut away anyway. I masked off were I wanted the cuts and the owner of a local metal shop, cut it for me for only 20 dollars. Not the cleanest of cuts but an hour or so with a Dremmel, and it came out really good. So not bad for 50 bucks.

I went this route because I always liked everything about the bobber look EXCEPT I've always hated how the seats look sitting there on springs. To each their own but defiantly not my cup of tea. This way I can still use a stock style seat (in my case, a potato chip seat) for, in my opinion a cleaner look. Plus I can still put a pavilion on it for anytime I might need to carry a passenger. So just putting it out there as a more affordable option for OP.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 PM

So here is what my cut rear fender looks like...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

You guys did a nice job on the work but I'm just not a fan of the look. The fender supports make it too boxy. Think I'm going to buy one of those pressed metal fenders and chop it. Buddy at work said he can give me a hand since his father builds drag cars. He's working on a 32' Ford now. Just have to make the mounting bracket and the side supports from the axle bolt. Appreciate the feedback guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode