Vance and Hines Slip on Exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Vance and Hines Slip on Exhaust

I must be an idiot but the 10 minute install everyone talks about doesn't work for me. My question: After I discovered the OEM gasket had to be removed the muffler slipped on quite easily but I can't get it up far enough on the manifold for the rear mounting bolts to line up I am about 1/8" shy . I loosened up the last heat shield bracket. Does the heat shield have to be totally loosened to allow the muffler to moved forward enough? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 PM

Garage
Hi Mike, unless the V&H mounts differently than the 4" Cobra slip on, it all should have ligned up without any problems. In August i swapped out my factory muffler for the Cobra 4". When i removed the factory muffler, i didnt have to loosen the chrome heat shield at all. Upon installing the Cobra muffler, i merely slid it on in a small circular fashion, installed the two rear mounting bolts, leaving them loose. Then i tightened down the clamp with the supplied hardware onto the exhaust pipe, and went back to the rear mounting bolts and snugged them down. I went back two weeks later and checked to make sure all was still tight. How many miles are on your bike? My 950 had a little over 13k on it when i did the swap. Hope this helps in some small way.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks, maybe I should have bought the Cobra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Are you talking about the Classic II slip-ons? I don't recall any gasket on my stock mufflers.

Did you install the new muffler bracket from V&H correctly. As I recall, the pictures in the directions weren't very clear.

I never touched the heat shield on mine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM

I just put a slip on on my 950 a few weeks back. I don't recall having to remove a gasket. The stock clamp, yes. I got a Rush slip on, and like you had about 1/8" to go before it was flush with the back bolt holes. All I did, since it wouldn't go all the way by hand, was folded up my flannel and put it on the end of the exhaust, and gave it a couple light kicks with my boot. Voila, perfect, flush, no issues, no dents. It's just a super tight fit, which is totally fine.

FTW
------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks guys, I did have to loosen the heat shield for that last 1/8 inch. Definite improvement on the sound. A little loud in the garage though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:19 PM

You're not an idiot. I had to remove the last heat shield clamp and slip the V&H under the edge of the heat shield to get it on. It's annoying and seems like a bit of a design flaw. On top of that, the bolts they sent with mine were the wrong thread pitch. Luckily, the mounting bungs were the same as the stock exhaust so I could just use the original bolts. I won't buy from V&H again. These sound good and look nice, but there were just too many problems with the install that just shouldn't have been there in a commercial product like this. Anyway, just thought you'd appreciate knowing that it's not just yours.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we had the exact same issues. I went as far as to re tap the muffler because I cross threaded trying to make it work. Bought some SS hex head m10 x .150 instead of the Allen head they supplied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode