Virago 250 stalls when shifting into second - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Virago 250 stalls when shifting into second

I found a low mileage 07 Virago 250 for sale. The guy says in his ad that it has problem where it stalls when it shifts into second gear. He says he had a mechanic look at it and they were unable to find the cause. Any idea what they could be overlooking. If I could buy the bike for the right price you think its worth it rolling the dice on. I am newbie who just passed his MSF and looking for my first bike. I am not knowledgable about bikes mechanically but I am mechanically inclined and work on my own cars and plan to learn to work on my own bike too. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM

How low is low? If it's low it's probably sat and if it's sat it's the carbs that would need cleaning. Idle jet is most likely clogged or partially clogged. Simple test open the choke and try riding it if it's better it's the carb clog.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
How low is low? If it's low it's probably sat and if it's sat it's the carbs that would need cleaning. Idle jet is most likely clogged or partially clogged. Simple test open the choke and try riding it if it's better it's the carb clog.
It has only about 800 miles on it. Can't imagine how his mechanic would not have taken the carb into account when diagnosing the problem. When you say open the choke don't you mean close the choke as if I am starting it cold. Just want to make sure I follow you. If the carb is indeed the problem this could allow me to steal the bike it for a good price but still not sure if I want to risk it if the problem is anything major. KBB and NADA have the bike priced at about $2k in excellent condition with average miles. If I wanted to grab the bike what would be the most you feel I should pay for it.

Last edited by amn70; 11-17-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Does it stall when shifting into first gear? It's pretty difficult for me to believe a problem shifting into second without a similar problem shifting into first. I'd also be looking into the safety interlocks. If the kickstand safety isn't working correctly it will kill the engine shifting into gear if it "thinks" the kickstand is down. Does the Neutral indicator light work correctly? That is involved in the safety circuit, too. And there is a switch on the clutch.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Does it stall when shifting into first gear? It's pretty difficult for me to believe a problem shifting into second without a similar problem shifting into first. I'd also be looking into the safety interlocks. If the kickstand safety isn't working correctly it will kill the engine shifting into gear if it "thinks" the kickstand is down. Does the Neutral indicator light work correctly? That is involved in the safety circuit, too. And there is a switch on the clutch.
I haven't spoken to the guy. Anything I know is based on what he wrote in his ad. He specifically states it happens going into second gear. I am going to contact him to find out more. I thought about the kickstand safety being involved but because he claims it only happens going to 2nd it seemed to negate the kickstand safety as a cause. If it turns out that it occurs going in 1st as well then it will make more sense. In your opinion what would be a good price to pay for this thing if I wanted to take a chance with it?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 PM

I'd say $1200 as it needs work and I havent seen it.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
I'd say $1200 as it needs work and I havent seen it.
That was kinda the figure I had in mind.

Thanks for your input on all this
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Id tell him a 1000 bucks. He's selling you a broken bike as is and he might exactly know what the problem is.

His mechanic probably quoted him a high figure and he's just playing stupid because he doesn't want to put that money into the repair.

For a grand even if it costs $800 to fix it you still are below the blue book value.

Last edited by roblox84; 11-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
Id tell him a 1000 bucks. He's selling you a broken bike as is and he might exactly know what the problem is.

His mechanic probably quoted him a high figure and he's just playing stupid because he doesn't want to put that money into the repair.

For a grand even if it costs $800 to fix it you still are below the blue book value.
Sort of ballsy of him to ask 2k which is book for one in excellent condition, while admitting the bike has a mechanical problem that he nor his mechanic can find the cause of. The priciest thing it could be are the transmission and the much cheaper thing it could be is some sort of fuel/carb problem. Can't imagine in any way that its the motor itself. At worst what do you think a replacement trans installed on that bike will cost parts and labor? No more than the $800 you mentioned I assume?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 PM

I couldn't even guess how much it would cost to rebuild the tranny. But it could very well be something as easy as clogged carb jets, I just find it weird that a mechanic didn't know what the issue is or that he didn't take it to another mechanic.

Who knows maybe the guy is a new rider and is starting in second gear and shifting into third at 5mph stalling the bike, lol.

Last edited by roblox84; 11-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode