Direct from China V Star 650 parts on ebay - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Direct from China V Star 650 parts on ebay

I thought I'd share my experiences with direct from China parts on ebay.

I ordered sissy bars for $100 postage paid. This included mounts, a bar, and a pad. The pad was garbage, but I didn't plan on using it anyway. Yahmaha charges something like $325 for their V Star 650 sissy bars. The chrome on the mounts I got is not as good as the actual Yahmaha mounts, but they are fine. I got a tall retro sissy bar that I like way better than anything Yahmaha, or even Highway Hawk and others make for the V Star 650.

My second order was for Kurykan knockoffs. This was for the grips, plus spiked endcaps, plus throttle boss, all for $33 postage paid.

The grips arrived covered in dirt and greasy fingerprints. After washing them I noticed part of the throttle sleeve is cracked right where the pin for the idle cable goes. Next I discovered that the right grip was actually for a 7/8" handlebars. The left grips is for a 1" handlebar.

A friend of mine also ordered Chinese turn signals for his 1979 Kawasaki. They look fine, but they are not bright at all. If the sun is out, you can't even tell one is blinking. He put tin foil behind the lights, but it didn't help much.

So my overall impression of the direct from China parts is that they are piss poor crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM

The warning is in the name.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Garage
And yet our govts keep going there and make "business" deals with them.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I had planned to get a direct from China spike air kit and use it in conjunction with pod filters. That way it wouldn't matter if the Chinese filter was pure crap, cause the whole thing would be a prop anyway. Now, I no longer plan to even buy that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
And yet our govts keep going there and make "business" deals with them.
We, the People spend much more than the Government in support of Chinese communism.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed where Kury's stuff comes from..... yup......it comes from China and Korea too. It's just made a little better. Spend $70 you get $70 worth....spend half of that and you get half the quality.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed where Kury's stuff comes from..... yup......it comes from China and Korea too. It's just made a little better. Spend $70 you get $70 worth....spend half of that and you get half the quality.
A lot of high end products are made in South Korea. However, i know that in the guitar world a huge amount of stuff has moved from South Korea to China in the past ten years. A lot of the stuff that was being made in South Korea originally started out being made in Japan. Some of the very low end total garbage products, that were being made in China, are actually being made in Chinese run factories in Malaysia and Indonesia now. Everything is moving down the line for cheaper and cheaper labor. Even products that are claiming "Made in the USA," like the very high quality and inexpensive WSG speakers, are just being assembled in Kentucky with part kits from China.

Hell, I own a state of the art "American Made" industrial embroidery machine. Open it up and everything has "Made in China" stamped on it.

I was surprised that the Yahmaha factory small engine guard bars I got said "made in America" on the packaging.

My double T drag bars from Wild 1 Chubbies also say Made in America, and they are incredibly high end.

I decided to order some Arlen Ness metric grips. I know some of their stuff is made in the USA, but I kinda doubt the grips will be.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 05:51 AM
SSC

My friend got the spiked China ISO grips there not bad but the rubber grip compared to my grips are soft as heck. I've had mixed luck China seems to honestly be just like everywhere else some good some bad at least I have that expectation before I buy. I did get the China trunk for my bike the 80 dollar one on eBay. The brackets did not fit even when ordered for my application but the trunk seems of ok quality ok just because it's plastic but seems very well made. I actually had my wife order some of the hard saddle bags for Christmas I did get those in seem well made as well but again abs plastic so may require a few mods so they last but they look nice.

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:46 AM

Definitely things are Hit & Miss when it comes to FleaBey Chinese knock offs... Somethings I would rather spend the money for the namebrand stuff, albeit still sourced from FleaBey or Amazone for a fraction of their actual cost... Currently my Yarley 650 Classic is shaping up to be a Craig's Amazonian Bey Super Store Special�� And Really my wallet & checking account isn't complaining as much as it would be...��

The Chinese sourced Black Bullet Signals seem to be fairly decent housing wise, but the amber fronts only came with a single filament two wire type sockets, so I had to convert them to dual filament three wire sockets... Luckily I found an American Online Company that made the sockets that I needed, and set of four of their sockets cost me less than what it wouldve been to ship the Bullets back for exchange(wouldve been Return S/H, plus more money for the different lights, and would've had to wait for them to be shipped back to me)...

Also the Cheap Painfully Sharp Peeling Chinese chrome grips that were on my bike when I brought it home, was another reason why I had to spend alittle more for the better quality grips..

Last edited by Dragon; 11-28-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode