Rich or lean? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Rich or lean?

So much confusion... cant tell whats going on with my bike...

Okay, so it hasnt been winterized as of yet, but it hasnt sat longer than a week with out a startup and run for 20 min... i just cant seem to leave it alone. Not mad at that at all...

2002 Vstar Classic 650 cobra slash slip ons

So went to start it and its always had starting issues, but after reading some stuff on 650CCD and the 1100 wiki base, i figured i would try some things and see if any worked.

I tried to start with choke normally and couldn't get it to fire. Not unusual. So i sit there and switch back and forth from choke to no choke and no change. I open the filter cover and take the filter out and put my gloved hand over intake hole. Choke on and it Fires. I pretty much completely blocked the intake and could feel it sucking my hand. only runs for about 6 seconds, but not bad. At this point i can start to smell gas... alot of it. Smells very rich. I play a bit more and as long as the choke is on and my hand is covering the hole, it runs.

I put the filter back on, and used a couple paper towels to block the intake hole by the filter, i use my leg to hold the bowl on and it runs with choke on. Push the choke in and dies. Runs with choke out and blocking up the intake. After its was running for a few, i tried to take out the paper towel from the intake (side hole, not the main one) and just use the filter like normal... bowl on and choke on... fires but only runs for about 2 seconds before it dies.

Ive read conflicting info on rich/lean... someone set me straight. I am prepared to go into the carbs again, but wondering if i need to change jets... My garage smells of gas... bad.

Edit: Carb PMS are at 2.5, checked it last week after having a hell of time getting it going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 PM

You didn't tell us what jets you're running now so it's impossible to say if you are rich or lean. If you still have the stock intake you should be running the stock jets. Is that what you have?

Did you synch the carbs?

It sounds like you've been in the carbs already.... IMO you have something messed up in the carbs that has nothing at all to do with what jets you have. Changing them will most likely do nothing to solve the issue. If there is something screwed up inside that is causing improper mixture you need to fix that issue....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 12-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Carbs are synced. Have a manometer. Stock intake and filter, no pods/BAK or anything else besides the pipes.

I have been in the carbs twice, nothing seems to get better. I am assuming stock jets

Ill tell you what. Ill get in there tomorrow and rip the carbs out, take a bunch of pictures and make sure everything looks tip top. Only thing i did while in the carbs was clean them out. Everything was put back as it was after cleaning (hopefully).

Hopefully someone can see something i dont and point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Take the pilots out and check the small side holes. Carefully run a wire through each hole to make sure they are unobstructed

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Okay, 19 pics of the carb can be found here...

http://kiltershidt.imgur.com/

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Jet is marked as 90, has an R and a Square on it as well. Everything is clean, no debris in there. I did notice that the floats are not even, so ill be handling that in a minute. Otherwise, the butterflys at WOT are not equal. Front butterfly opens about 3mm farther. Not exactly sure how to adjust this.

Pilot jet is marked 20.

All stock it appears.

Last edited by Wyovstar; 12-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Put it back together... now no fire in front cylinder

No gas in float area, nothing comes out when drain screw is undone.

Last edited by Wyovstar; 12-04-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Are you getting fuel and spark to the front?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Guess it was the floats. Front was very stiff, readjusted and fired on first try. Gonna go around town and see how she does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode