Float adjustment... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415
  • 1 Post By nurtaeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Float adjustment...

Just making sure i understand this correctly... when adjusting the the float fuel level in the float bowl. I use the rubber tube and make sure the fuel comes out:

"To a level, 7.5-8.5mm below the line on the fuel bowl cover."

http://650ccnd.com/floatbowl.htm

Im following this, but want to make sure i understand it correctly. Currently they are lining up with the line, or higher, which explains the major rich issue i have. So i will be adjusting to fix that.

Has anyone discovered which direction to bend the tang to get the fuel level lower in the float bowl? Everything i have read says either or... just trying to make sure i dont have to spend a weekend installing/uninstalling.

Is there also a different way to measure from the gasket area? I noticed that many Mikuni carbs can be adjusted with no gas in the bowl while carbs are out the bike, and using a caliper to measure and set the float height correctly. I can not find these procedures for the BDS28, the 32/34 yes, but not the 28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:42 PM

I know that It's an old post but I'm having the same issue. Did you find another way to fix it?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Old post indeed... what I ended up doing was just adjusting the floats similar to how you would a harley carb. With the new carb kit you just bend the tang a hair until the float itself is level with the carb body. What I would do is tilt the carb so that the float falls into the carb... look at it from the side and then make the float parallel to the carb body, where the gasket sits. You dont want a ton of pressure on the needle, but you want it seated.

Hope that is somewhat clear... make sure you sync your carbs afterwards of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 PM

If the fuel level is too high then you bend the tab towards the fuel valve. I don't bother with static measurements of the float height when the carb is upside down or other such methods... I measure 'dynamically' by removing the bowl retaining screws, hold the bowl to the carb which is at it's 'working' position, allow fuel to flow into the bowl until the valve closes, allow the bowl to drop and see how high the fuel level is in the bowl and adjust the float accordingly.
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Has anyone found any parts or pieces for the BDS28? I can't seem to find anything in the way of rebuild kits and such...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 AM

Garage
Found this dry bowl procedure:

Preliminary Float Height Setting (Benchtop or dry Method)

I used the same procedure ("Harley way") to adjust floats on my wife's old 650 and it worked ok (it says Preliminary though so fine tuning may still be required). You will need to sync the carbs and I'd suggest to pull and check spark plugs after few hundred miles.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode