AIS Removal - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

AIS Removal

Was looking at taking this unit off my bike as there are no emissions requirements here in Ontario, plus it would clean up the look instead of having that bulky canister and chrome lines running around the heads.

So, before I start taking everything apart I read on the attached article that if it is disabled/removed, it will reduce backfiring and pops from the exhaust on deceleration. Now, if that's the case that would suck as I put new Vance and Hines pipes on it last year and they sound awesome on deceleration. Ya, I like it loud haha.

Have any of you done this and if so have you noticed a difference on deceleration? I just can't see it having that much of an effect on that.

http://www.650ccnd.com/ais.htm

Thanks everyone,

Jon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Garage
Are you telling us that you like the backfiring on decel? I've done it on my 1100 and a few others and everyone loves the loss of the backfire and pop. Our exhaust are still loud but without the you know whats.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Hell ya brother! Turning this into a bobber so I want to keep the sound I had this summer. Plus, getting rid of any unneccesary junk I can off of it. But, was just wondering if it eliminated it totally or just a bit. Can't remember what pipes I have, taking them off now so I'll get a better look.

Also, do you know the air pressure that goes through the manifold boot? The boot for cylinder 1 has a small rubber line that runs into the top of the AIS canister, but not the boot for cylinder 2. That one is a closed end rubber hose. Just wondering if I can cut the hose and put a brass plug in the end and a clamp. Don't want the thing to blow off on the road. But I can't see it being an incredible amount of psi.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Garage
Jon, the line in the #1 cylinder is for the AIS pump. This is what activates the pump. The pump works on vacuum pressure from that line. I can't really talk to getting the bike to backfire other than induce an air leak inthe exhaust system somehow. Hopefully someone will come along and talk to this.

2009 Stratoliner S

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM
SSC

Some pipes depending on the diameter will always makes some noise on decel. Quick test would be to remove your tool cover and loop the ais rubber lines. That will give you a better idea of how it will sound once the ais has been proper plugged

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I've decided to remove the unit. In doing so, snapped two screw heads and stripped one. That's fine since they are just holding the unit to the engine mount so I will just cut the heads off.

Now just to plug the holes in the head from the lines with something.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Garage
Jon a lot of folks use spent 45 caliberACP casings. I still have a few left if you want to use those.

2009 Stratoliner S

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Ov_Long_Hair View Post
I've decided to remove the unit. In doing so, snapped two screw heads and stripped one. That's fine since they are just holding the unit to the engine mount so I will just cut the heads off.

Now just to plug the holes in the head from the lines with something.
You can simply adjust the pilot mixture screws to either get rid of or induce a back fire. Keep turning them in 1/4 turn increments until you get what you want. You don't want to go too much or you'll get too lean at an idle.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 PM

After removing the AIS unit and hoses you can plug the spigots with 10 25mm by 1.25 bolts and use JB Weld High Heat epoxy.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Garage
You could do that but IMHO it would look ugly. You would be better off removing the elbows and plug the holes with 45 acp shells. Make the cylinders look much cleaner. If you can't get your hands on some, pm me with your address and I'll ship some to you.

2009 Stratoliner S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode