To loud pipes or not to loud pipes.. that is the question :) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Question To loud pipes or not to loud pipes.. that is the question :)

Hi friends, I hope everyone is as sad as I am that the cold weather has set in and riding is no longer a safe option. Counting the days till summer rolls along!

In the interim I wanted to take the opportunity to get some work done on my 2003 VStar 1100 Custom - specifically removing the stock pipes and replacing them with these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRZ8FE)

The reason i'm posting here is because a good friend of mine told me that there are some changes in road laws on the horizon which target loud pipes and subject them to heavy fines. He said he heard it via some other biker friends of his.

I tried researching online but all I found is old pre-2009 stuff.

Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Am I just being paranoid?

Happy Monday!

BTW i'm in Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM

I haven't heard about anything in your neck of the woods but, the fact is, that almost everywhere has a law regarding the installation of aftermarket exhausts. The question is, when are different area law enforcements, going to start enforcing those laws.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM

The best bet is to check your local laws. They vary greatly.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 AM

Garage
my opinion, awhile back I put a set of pipes on the scoot only to find I wasted my money. for the guys that like to run what I call short distances you can take the racket but when you ride for hrs on end an actually do some travel they just get to be annoying as hell. gives ya a headache after awhile. just my opinion if you bar hop there ok but if you really ride then you maybe wasting a lot of money. just my 2 cents.

POW/MIA Chairman
Lehigh Valley Chp.415
Vietnam Veterans
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM

I installed a Cobra 2 into 1 on my 2004 1100 Classic. It was way too loud for me, so much so I couldn't hear music from my earbuds. I bought a Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffle, installed it and could not be more pleased with the sound. Very quiet at idle and when I need it to be quiet at low speeds, when traveling on residential streets early in the AM or late at night. When I roll the throttle it has a really great sound and is loud enough for my liking.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 AM

I have no context to judge the loudness of the Cobras on a VStar, nor do I know what its like for noise ordinances in Canada. But I can add value based on what I know on the Roadliner/Stratoliner models.

1. Noises ordinances from what I have seen in Colorado are not enforced. Many of us have pipes that louder than what the stock pipe is, and as long as you are not the idiot that goes blaring through a residential neighborhood, the police never look at you twice. I suppose if they wanted to pull you over for suspicion of something else, this would be as good of an excuse as any. I have never been harassed about my pipes by law enforcement.

2. The Cobra pipes on a *liner sound awesome! However as previously mentioned, there is a point of being obnoxious, and after spending a few days riding behind someone with those pipes, they are right at that line. Many people in the group did not want to ride behind this guy because his pipes were too loud. I run a Vance and Hines Exhaust, and while their sound is not for everyone, they are a nice blend of ear pleasing sound and muffled enough to begin to disappear at highway speed so you can enjoy the ride.

3. Performance. Again, I no little about the VStar bikes, but the *liners have an EXUP valve and when you remove it, you lose performance. Move from a 2 into 1 pipe to duals, you gain sound, but lose more performance. You may need a Power Commander to restore that performance. Its not dramatic, but you can feel the torque loss on the liners. Several friends went to a slip on that allowed them to keep their EXUP valve. Frankly, I think mine looks better, the stock pipes are unattractive to me, BUT, I think their sounds better and I think they did not lose the torque that I lost, and they did not have to add a Power Commander to boot.

Just my .02
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:08 AM

I installed the Samson Ripsaws and a tach because I couldn't hear the engine and wanted to stay more in touch with my machine while riding. When riding in towns and neighborhoods I try to be respectful of their noise and ride accordingly. Law enforcement officers have never given me a second glance when I have encountered them even though there are noise restrictions in the area. Keeping my fingers crossed.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3r0y View Post
Hi friends, I hope everyone is as sad as I am that the cold weather has set in and riding is no longer a safe option. Counting the days till summer rolls along!

In the interim I wanted to take the opportunity to get some work done on my 2003 VStar 1100 Custom - specifically removing the stock pipes and replacing them with these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRZ8FE)

The reason i'm posting here is because a good friend of mine told me that there are some changes in road laws on the horizon which target loud pipes and subject them to heavy fines. He said he heard it via some other biker friends of his.

I tried researching online but all I found is old pre-2009 stuff.

Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Am I just being paranoid?

Happy Monday!

BTW i'm in Toronto, Canada
I haven't heard a lot about law changes, I have rumors of city by-laws that are targeting loud motorcycles. I have semi loud pipes on three of our bikes ( wife has 1 I have 2). I live in a rural village and I must say that the young red neck boys and their trucks are way louder than bikes and they go by more often than bikes. If the law is to change then it needs to include all vehicles! In Port Dover they are clamping down on loud exhaust, other than that I don't know.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Garage
I can only speak to the Quebec side of the question. We have a double jeopardy law for now. On the one hand the old and archaic law that has the leo's put a length of wire in the exhaust to see if the baffles were removed or tampered with. The other one is a "study" for now that has the leo monitor the sound level of the exhaust at a certain rpm. For a 2 cylindre bike at 2500 rpm, the sound level shouldn't be more than 100 Db. So if you pass the db test, they can still catch you on the wire test ( $160 fine).

I guess nobody told the law makers about advancements in baffle technology.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 AM

Garage
I live in pa an they don't bust your chops on the noise but there is a town in jersey where in the summer they stand there with their little meter an measure your sound as you ride by an they do bust ya for loud pipes. they just have it in for bikers. at times they do a land office business on a weekend.

POW/MIA Chairman
Lehigh Valley Chp.415
Vietnam Veterans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode