Help With Identifying Aftermarket Parts On My Bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Help With Identifying Aftermarket Parts On My Bike

I purchased my bike a few weeks ago and have come to learn that several aftermarket parts were installed on it. My main question is, how do I identify what kind of exhaust did the last guy install? The bike backfires quite a bit and have been told that I need to re-jet my carbs. Do I need to know brand and model of my pipes to re-jet? Are there common locations for part numbers or any form of ID on pipes?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Garage
KK, for us to better help you out, you shoulg post a few pics of your 650 so that we can see whats installed. You may not need to rejet but rather adjust the PMS depending on what you have for an exhaust system. An other cause for backfiring is air leaks. Is your system tight? Post the pics and let's go from there.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

nope!!

I was just looking into that today. My intake manifold tubes are cracked in several places and actually move while the bike is running. I understand that will affect my air/fuel ratio and cause the bike to run lean which will affect the performance of the bike. That said, I think I still want to know what kind of pipes are on the beast so I can plan accordingly. I hope the pics help. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	39010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Closeup.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	39018  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Garage
KK they look like Cobra dragsters. If they are, they should have a removable baffle and the Cobra logo some where near the end. That's a full system and would require rejetting but like you said the intake boots are cracked to the point of moving. I would start by changing them out, verifying the jets in the carbs for the proper ones and go from there.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Corsair, thank you! I'll check for that logo when I get home. The baffles are removable( and the bike sounds horrible when they are out). I have the intakes on order and if the pipes are indeed cobra drags I'll order the jetting kit as well. Thank you for the help! And thought on removing/disabling the air injection system on the bike? We don't have emission checks where I live.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0FgqmpKIWrQyou dont need to spend for a kit,dam'it i'm not sure about the 650 you prolly only need a jet change.if you do some research
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you nick57. I'm still researching everything I can on this thing. I'll take a look at the link you sent later and see what more I can learn. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode