engine died on the highway - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

engine died on the highway

Ladies and gents, I'm new to the forum but I've poked around on here for awhile since getting an 08 1100 classic. Great information on here I hope yall can point me in the right direction as I've seen you do for many others. I posted this with my intro but this is probably the better place to put it.
Earlier today I was riding about 65 mph and I started losing speed. Gave it some more throttle and the engine spun up (had a different sound to it) but I didn't get any speed. Pulled the clutch and the engine died. After pulling over it immediately started up and ran normal the rest of the drive home. Any ideas of the direction I should be looking at? All I can think is a hiccup in the fuel line but that is a best guess and I admit it seems unlikely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 05:25 PM

How many miles on the bike? Running with fuel on or in reserve? Do you normally drive 65 or above or slower? Has the bike sat any time or is it a daily driver?

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Just over 10k on it. Bought it 3 months back so I don't know how long it sat previously. It is my primary vehicle so the most it sits is a couple of days in the garage. Daily commute is 30 mph. But I get on the highway at least once to twice a week. The tank has 90 miles since last fill up so I wouldn't think it was gas. Plus it started/ran fine while in the peacock was in the on position after it died. Took it for a ride to try and see if it would do it again and it did it on Decel for a turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Hard to say without being there.... Have you tried draining the tank completely to check for water or other stuff in the fuel? I think I'd try that before I went much further.

Just a quick question. Do you hear the fuel pump clicking when you turn the ignition switch on?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah fuel pump is ticking. I'll try putting fresh gas in and try that. Would it run fine for that long before problems started?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM

If there is garbage or rust in your tank or fuel filter it could interrupt the fuel flow. Fuel filters are cheap, I'd consider trying a different one. When the tank is low you could also take a peek down in there just to confirm you're not seeing sediment or rust in there.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 AM

I agree with starting simple and working your way to more complicated items.

+1 on Drain and replace the fuel and change the fuel filter.

+1 on checking for stuff in the the tank - I have had three instances of this - one was a small piece of red plastic from inside a fuel jug blocking the tank outlet on a lawn mower, one was a wasp blocking the tank outlet on a tractor and the last was accumulated rust particles blocking the outlet on a generator. All of which were intermittent, the first two were aggravating as h3ll! The third time I had learned to check for blockage in the tank.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Not trying to bad vib you, but after you've checked all the routine stuff, I had a bike once that would quit for no good reason and then after sitting a few minutes would start and run normally. I finally pulled the head and found mucho carbon around the exhaust valve and seat. After after doing the valves the problem went away. Good Luck, Wavelenght.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I'm running fresh gas and I have had the engine die yet. Another quick question I get significant surging/bucking when acceleration slowly or holding steady at slow speeds (20-30 mph). I'm thinking most likely a clogged jet, but is there anything else that could cause this?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

::Correction:: have not had an engine die again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode