Need advice on '07 1100 Midnight - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Need advice on '07 1100 Midnight

Greetings Everyone and Happy Holidays,

I am seriously thinking of picking up an '07 VStar 1100 Midnight BUT it has less than 1000 miles on her, so essentially she has been sitting for 7 now going on 8 years. Fires right up though but I have not ridden her.

Is there anything I should consider on this bike before purchase? She looks fine, blacked out engine etc. with no signs of a drop on either side. Is there a maintenance schedule it should adhere to such as a dealer checkup at 1000 miles? Whats the gas mileage like on these, how about maintenance costs (I do know about the aftermarket oil filter relocator kit). Hows the reliability?

Anything negative on the '07 models I should know and how about performance as compared to a stock Harley XL1200 Sportster (my previous bike)? Is the power comparable to a 1200 Sporty?
How go you go about doing a Stage I on these carbed bikes, is it a Pipe, a better Intake element and re-jetting?
I apologize in advance for the noob questions but I am seriously thinking of buying this bike since I already got the ok from the Missus

Thank you all and best Holiday wishes!

Last edited by Ruben; 12-24-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 08:23 AM

These are great bikes. The engines will easily do 200,000 miles with proper maintenance.

The first thing you need to consider is getting new tires. No matter how good they might look, if they are over 5 years old they need to be replaced. You life could depend on it.

There are 2 things that could possibly go wrong that would be considered a semi-large repair. The mid shaft and the starter clutch. With proper care and use you won't have an issue with either.

The 1200 Sporty is a lighter bike, but you can wake up the 1100 to almost the same HP with intake, exhaust and cams. With the addition of a Dyna ignition to that you'd be in the low to mid 70's for HP. Just keep in mind that the 1100 makes it's power more in the mid to high range rather than the low end. Don't be afraid to rev it to 4500 - 6000 rpm....they really make some power there.

One thing nice about the 1100 is that there is still a ton of aftermarket stuff out there...both new and used. It's a bike that lends well to customizing.

For all the info you'll ever need on the 1100...go HERE. Then go directly to the "New Owner Must Read" section. It'll answer all those questions.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
For all the info you'll ever need on the 1100...go HERE. Then go directly to the "New Owner Must Read" section. It'll answer all those questions.
Do you know what range of years the manual reference at that page would cover ......for the most part. I think I saw a 1999 rev date on it. I'm uncertain how much the 1100 has changed since then. Thanks.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

where/how has it been stored? has it just been sitting in the same place for several years since it was last ridden? there could be several things that need to be looked at depending on how it's been cared for. also, change ALL fluids in the thing.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 PM
SSC

The sportster has better performance assuming it was a newer sporty. The difference is going to be like going from a stool to a couch. As long as it was not ridden a 1000 miles in 6 months and parked since it should be fine. The tires yeah change them they won't pop but they will wear quicky

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasile View Post
Do you know what range of years the manual reference at that page would cover ......for the most part. I think I saw a 1999 rev date on it. I'm uncertain how much the 1100 has changed since then. Thanks.
Other than cats and float bowl changes in 05 cal - 06 fed.....not much. However, if you are uncertain I'd strongly suggest that you buy one. We offer no guarantees in the wKB. It is there for reference only.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks.

I definitely do plan on getting a service manual for it.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode