Exhausting search - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Exhausting search

I recently purchased a 2006 1100. While I have it apart fixing some oil leaks I removed the AIS and am doing this intake mod. I'll be re-jetting too.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamah...s?msg=21159.37

I also want to open up the exhaust. Here's the kicker though.....I detest loud exhaust. I don't like it on my bike and I don't like to hear it on other bikes. That's just me. I would like a performance exhaust that is as quiet as the stock one, but I don't think that is possible. I know I will have to compromise.

Any ideas on an exhaust that will provide good performance over stock but won't wake up the neighbors when I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning to go to work? I'm looking at the Cobra 2 into 1 with a baffle, but I don't know if it will be too loud or not.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas!

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 03:22 PM

i did the Rymay pod mod,i believe he did it in the first is the sound of the intakes was bouncing off the windshield,so no windhield no sucking noise,then if your going for louder exhaust you wont hear your intake,i eventially took the bottom half of the intake off cause when i put the gastank on the bottom always hit the rear filter and it unsettled me.the 1150 filters fit better under the tank than the ru 0.600 anyways ,oh the ru 0.600 filters are less money.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Hey Dan, I'm still trying to figure what the hell nick is talking about!! If you find an answer to your problem-let me know. I did a lot of upgrades, and I'm happy with all, except...the volume. While I lived in Vegas, I wanted to be noticed. And, if you've ever ridden in that area, you'd know why. Now, I'm back in Washington state and my changes, although the bike runs beautifully, are obnoxious and loud. Love the extra power, crave the quiet.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:55 PM

guess that paint i was sniffing today had an eeffect on me i did not notice. sorry this is the one time i did'nt proof read wow,,the rymal mod was to quiet the sound of the intake,i changed it after one season.i have cobra longs which are very loud even with quiet cores.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

even with a baffle, the cobra pipes will be louder than your stock pipes. i would advise searching youtube for different exhaust configurations to get an idea of how loud they might be on your bike

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Bruce, I'll keep looking and I'll let you know what I find. I was on Vegas just once. I'll neither confirm nor deny what happened there.

Nick, back away from the eggnog, dude!

Bevo, I know I'll be going louder, I would just like to know how much louder they'll be before I lay out any cash, you know what I mean. Youtube is better than nothing, but a db meter would be better yet.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I may just do my lighting mods and put the bike back together this weekend and keep looking for a exhaust solution. If I find one by the time the March-April rains start I will do the intake, jetting, and exhaust then.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Nick57, think it's worth spending a few bucks to change the baffles in my slash-cuts to quiet cores?

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
i did the Rymay pod mod,i believe he did it in the first is the sound of the intakes was bouncing off the windshield,so no windhield no sucking noise,then if your going for louder exhaust you wont hear your intake,i eventially took the bottom half of the intake off cause when i put the gastank on the bottom always hit the rear filter and it unsettled me.the 1150 filters fit better under the tank than the ru 0.600 anyways ,oh the ru 0.600 filters are less money.
I'm still using the Rymal set up.

I never had a clearance issue with the filters once I swapped the front and rear air box boots. I like being able to remove it as a unit and I also have my vent plumbed into the stock air box fitting so excess oil can easily drain back into the engine.

For me, it just made for a nice simple, clean install, and I'm using a converted 5 hour energy bottle (free) as my vent filter so I didn't need to buy an aftermarket one. That pretty much covered the difference in the filter price.......also the RC-1150 filter has a nice chrome top...

If you really need quiet.....just keep the stock exhaust. They are quiet mostly because of all the restrictions and small pipe diameter. You won't find anything even close to that quiet in the aftermarket.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 12-26-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Garage
Dan, I have the V+H classic 2 on my bike and find them to be just right for me. A friend has the Cobra longshots on his 1100 and I find them ok also. Both systems passed the sound level test we have here in Quebec which is 100 Db measured at 18 inches away from the exhaust at a 45 angle, engine rpm at 2500 for a two cylinder engine. Hope this helps a bit.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode