08 vstar 650 gas smell - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

08 vstar 650 gas smell

the bike has 6000klm's I am getting a gas smell every now and then have no idea why????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Sorry....but.....I'm not there to see it or smell it....so my best advice is that if you think it is abnormal and don't know what it is, take it to a reputable shop immediately. Somebody that knows these bikes needs to actually look at it to see what's going on.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
True it can be serious or it can be fumes. Mine had issues like this.

When the AIS is removed the vapors can be whiffed. Not sure where they come from. My bike is a 2000 49 state. No tank vent.
Cal models have a tank vent which is routed to the intake for reburn.
Pollution control in other words.

Could be leaking fuel filter, fuel lines, Carb bowls, Gas tank leak, Petcock, Damaged gas tank cap. Ect.
Loose or broken Vacuum hoses, on carb or AIS.

bad Running conditions can usually be caused by the latter.

The potential for a fire is evident, Check it close with a flash light,
Or have it inspected by reputable source.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM

I get the same thing every once in awhile on my 650 too but thats usually when i'm getting low on gas and the fumes become much more and noticeable. Might be your case if it goes away when you put gas. Have a Happy New Year!

2007 Star 650 / 2004 Star 1100
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys I was thinking that it was happening when the tank was getting low .Next time I get it I will have the flash and a sniff tube ready to go see it I can isolate the area.
Bike is in storage now so guess that will happen next spring.

Laybacklenny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Strong fuel smell most likely will be from a leak some where.

Faint fuel odors will be much less strong (no visible wet areas)

Paper towels used to wipe hoses and carbs, petcock, ect (where you can reach) can detect where a wet spot might be.

Sometimes they can be hiding very well.

Good luck come spring.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybacklenny View Post
Thanks Guys I was thinking that it was happening when the tank was getting low .Next time I get it I will have the flash and a sniff tube ready to go see it I can isolate the area.
Bike is in storage now so guess that will happen next spring.

Laybacklenny
I've noticed this with my 1100 as well. I only get the fumes when its low on fuel. Fill er up, and I dont smell it anymore. Of course, wind conditions are a factor as well. Had the same deal on my 99 Victory and by golly I spent hours trying to isolate it....but was never successful. On the 1100...I "think" it has something to do with that tank cap because in my case thats where the odor is strongest.

ps...really wish I could lose that gas cap. I fight with that abortion every time I fill it up with gas. Doesn't want to seat.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The tank cap by design must let air in to let fuel flow out of the tank.
CA models have a tank vent that draws those vapors and fumes off
and into the tract of the intake for burning.

On ventless models (49 state) The fumes have no where else to go but back out the openings in the cap that allow for this air to be drawn in
Otherwise turning the petcock on would allow for some fuel to flow but then as vacuum builds again the bike would starve for fuel and shut off.
It is designed this way so the engine keeps running...

jake

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
The tank cap by design must let air in to let fuel flow out of the tank.
CA models have a tank vent that draws those vapors and fumes off
and into the tract of the intake for burning.

On ventless models (49 state) The fumes have no where else to go but back out the openings in the cap that allow for this air to be drawn in
Otherwise turning the petcock on would allow for some fuel to flow but then as vacuum builds again the bike would starve for fuel and shut off.
It is designed this way so the engine keeps running...

jake
Makes perfect sense. I dont smell it on my Harley. Is that because its fuel injected maybe ? And the pressure is handled differently ? Never really given the subject much thought. Thanks.

EDIT : Come to think of it the HD has a fuel tank vent which vents out the bottom of the motorcycle. I need another coffee !!

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Really Fuel injection or Carb does not matter. It's all in the fuel delivery
to either. Gravity feed means it must have a vent to allow for fuel to flow.

My 650 has a fuel pump but still has carbs. It supply's the carbs a constant fuel pressure.

On fuel injected bikes the fuel pressure is much higher due the the use of Injectors which spray the fuel (atomized) and is controlled by the PCM. Or computer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode