Seat firmness on 08 XV250 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Seat firmness on 08 XV250

Just bought an 08 Vstar 250. Its my first bike. Finding the seat a bit firm. Wish it was softer. Love the seat on the Suzuki GZ250 I rode in the MSF course. Its that soft pillowy type. Thinking about taking my vstar seat to an upholstery guy to see if they can redo it in a softer cushier foam. Actually found this replacement seat on Ebay. Looks like it may be softer but no way to know and its from China. Anyone ever buy one of these inexpensive chinese seats for their bikes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Synthetic-Le...l%3AVirago+250

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM
SSC

Never got a chance to ride a 250 the seat on the ones I've seen did not look to bad though. Stock seats suck. If it is a new bike it will get a little softer after some miles but will never be great. If you are ok with how you sit on it the foam is not hard to replace. I'm sure you could replace it your self or take it to an upholstery shop and have the foam replaced for about 100 Maybe less. I noticed today walmart seems to be stocking some nice foam a peice of that some 3m spray glue electric carving knife and a good stapler your in business. Also had some thoughts about using one of the memory foam pillows as a filler as well

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

you might get what you pay for. you may want to look into getting an airhawk or a gel pad.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:11 AM

What's your budget?

An upholsterer could help you out if they use the right kind of foams, but it will probably get pricey.
I've been through the seat thing with every bike I bought and the sooner you take care of it, the happier you'll be.

I waited for 2 years with my 950 to get new seats because of budget and the final result was amazing. I went with Mustang. If the stock seat was a 5, the Mustang was a 12. No comparison, however, after 5 hours in the saddle, I was still having tail bone compression. If you start out too soft and ride a long time, you'll still have issues.

More recently, I bought my Strat and had a local custom shop do my seats. He uses aviation grade foam and it is incredible. There are 4 levels of different density foam used and you can feel the complexity of the seat. This however comes with its own problems. This type of foam stiffens when it's cold. Sometimes in the mornings, it literally feels like I'm sitting on a rock, but as my body heat warms up the foam, it starts getting back to normal. When it's warm out, it is like sitting on a pillow. I haven't made any long rides yet, but I'm sure this will be an all day seat.

If you haven't taken any long rides yet, I'd wait to see how the seat settles in after an hour or two. If all you use it for is short point to point rides, then I agree with bevo, an airhawk or gel pad may be what you're looking for.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 AM

Being a 250 I can see you wanting to get something bigger, if you can muscle out using that seat, save the money to invest a little further down the road. I just haven't seen people stick with them very long, all though I'm sure some people have. Just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode