Install of oil filter relocation kit - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Install of oil filter relocation kit

Howdy members, Been busy over the last 2 days getting my oil filter relocation kit installed, And a set of Barnett clutch springs.

The OFRK has billet aluminum adapters to replace the crazy removal and possible stripping of stuff during oil changes.
This setup makes oil changes a 5 minute job. Oil filter is now located
under the rectifier. Unscrew it under a pan to drain and screw in the new one, fill crankcase with about 1/3 quart extra oil than the normal change. Which would make the total about 3.7 quarts.

I took the extra time to polish all the chrome parts that were hidden by exhaust and such that make them hard to get to.

The clutch springs are much stiffer than the stockers. Still clutch pull at the lever is nearly the same. Just a little stronger.

If anybody needs help finding these kits or needs advise on installing
let me know, Glad to help.

jake RestoRides MotorSports

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Here are some small pics of the bike with the kit installed.
This kit was unfinished billet aluminum but looks pretty good.
I don't have to worry about paint peeling.

It was less than $90 not including the K&N 303C filter.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 04-19-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Would be interested in a oil filter kit at those prices, can I get some info on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanks man. I bought one (ORK) from a member on this forum. Havent bothered installing it yet since I changed the oil about a day or two before buying it. Appreciate your pics and info and yes, if I get hung up I'll look you up. Thanks again. The one I bought is used and I may need a new O-ring for it but its so cold out right now I'll select a different time to worry about it !!

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
No problem. I will look and see who I got this from. It was ebay.
All the kit components are CNC billet aluminum. Stainless braided lines
w/ an6 style fittings.

I just rode mine for the first time tonight and all is working great no leaks. Adds about 1/3 quart more capacity.

I do know they come in black or polished chrome for more money.
Like $125 or so.

The only thing you will need to purchase will be the filter. All the orings are used from the stock covers or they are supplied in the kit. This is for the vstar 650 however the same vendor my have this for the 1100.

Very nice.

Last edited by RestoRider00; 12-29-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Alright true to my word here are the details :

Ebay vendor : the_extension_depot

Blk kit Ebay # 131211491653 $104.99 shipped

Raw aluminum kit Ebay # 131207176410 $94.99 shipped.

When I purchased mine it was a clearance item.

I do not see one for the vstar 1100 from this vendor.

jake : RestoRides MotorSports

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post

Thats OK. I got mine for 125 bucks shipped. Really not a bad deal for the 1100 kit. Its in perfect shape. The seller said he'd recommend using the OEM O-ring with it even though the one included is "probably" OK. , which for all I know I will stumble upon the OEM ring when I install the kit. If not, I'll find an O-ring around here. I've not done anything to this recently acquired motorcycle so I'm still the dark.

ps...that configuration should add some cooling functionality as well. Always a good thing.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic

Last edited by jbasile; 12-29-2014 at 07:56 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Yes it does, In fact I was looking for a finned oil cooler when I found this on Ebay. Being the oil filter is trapping wind at speed it does offer
oil cooling effects. I am looking for a radial finned heat sink to attach to the oil filter itself. I may have to chop some of the fins where it gets close to the rectifier for clearance.

Oil cooling, Extra capacity, Easier oil changes, all add up to a great bang for the buck item to install.

jake

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Jake, Thanks for the info. I too bought an Extension Depot ORK for my 1100. Though it is raw aluminum, it looks well built. I have not installed it yet, waiting on next oil change/spring. My only question/concern is the small inside diameter of the hoses. When I think about an oil filter, I think high flow thru the filter. This arrears to be low flow or high pressure. Looking at your pics, it appears you have the same hoses. Any issues or problems? Thanks.
Eric

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
The lines appear small , but the system I have works great so far.
No leaks and the bike seems to run better. I think this is a win win.
The extra oil capacity (0.3 quarts) So about 10 ozs. And the fact the
oil filter location is now behind the front wheel, it gets lots of cool air.
So it acts like a oil cooler too.

The real big winner in all of this is the easy to do oil change.
Less mess and zero hassles.
Well worth the price of admission.
Fiddling with the exhaust pipe is not required. You can replace the
old oil filter cover assembly with the new billet one easily.
You just need to reuse the cover o ring gasket from the oem.
The rest comes in the kit.

I think you will like it.

jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode