Charging problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Charging problem

Okay first off it a 02 v-star 1100 classic. early last year my stator went out so I replaced it with a aftermarket stator (RM stator) so when I did this I decided to replace the voltage regulator/rectifier. All checked ok so went on a ride for about an hour or so, when stopped bike would not start, bump started it and rode home when i got home bike would not start, found voltage regulator burnt it got so hot it melted the plastic box back it set in replaced with another on, still had problem replaced battery all was good went on a 100 mile round trip ok bike started for trip home about 3/4 home bike quite could no get it started battrey was dead. Thought stator went bad so i sent it back cause of warranty. Rm stator tested it tested good. Now I am thinking another regulator/rectifier. My question is what it causing this? Do I have a short some where? Was told it may be my LED side mount barke/tail/lic light due to no (resister/diode/balast resiter) or what ever it is called? I am at a loss. Any suggestion? I am going to reinstall stator and check regulator/rectifier. Just was curious if any one elese may have had this problem or heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM

I've seen this problem almost every time somebody replaces the OEM stator or reg/rec with aftermarket ones. They just don't seem to last. OEM is the only way to go.

On the 1100 it is very rare to see a stator go bad, 999 times out of 1000 it is just the reg/rec.

Did you do a voltage test before replacing these things...or after to see what was going on?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

a I know OEM is better but I don't want to take out a loan to buy parts, the stator is over $800 bucks, I want to fix it not put a down payment. I have heard a lot of guys say the used aftermarket stator and regulator/rectifier and had no problem. I would like to know what if any thing to check to see why the reg/rec burnt up. The way it is in the system the fuse should have blown before the reg/rec burnt up least from what I see and understand from the manual. I checked everything by the book (Yamaha manual )that's what showed the stator bad, i put a new reg/rec just to be on the safe side. I don't want to throw money at this. I know electrical can be difficult to figure out for problems. Just thought someone else may have an idea on what to and were to look that may cause this. Someone mentioned the low mount LED tail/brake/lic plate light as I do not have a resister hooked up to it. I am at a total loss and I have been working on bikes for 35 + years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:25 PM

I just looked up the stator Yamaha OEM # 5KS-81450-00-00 and it is only $481.06 regular customer price at the dealer. I'm sure you can find it for less shopping on the internet. I've seen over a hundred people try aftermarket charging system stuff and almost all of them (but not all) had issues with in 6 months.....if not sooner.

Other than that, check every wire in the charging/starting system from beginning to end looking for any damage. If the reg/rec fried this soon...you definitely have some very serious issues. What were the voltage readings on the old stator...compared to the new one?

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 PM

I have had similar charge problems on various motorcycles. Before installing any new electrical part, always check every connection to it. With a charged battery and charger/reg not connected, start it up and measure voltage at the battery. Make sure it is a good 12-13 volts at least for a minute or two and everything looks normal, battery not getting too hot. Then connect just 12v power wire and grounds of the rectifiers. Monitor voltage as before and keep feeling the unit to make sure it is not getting hot. All this good, check charging ac voltage direct from the magneto coils. Make sure they are in spec. All this good-don't trust the color code on after market products or the connector pin positions for that matter. Don't even trust the power to be red and ground green. I have seen power blue or brown before. Get a diagram of the after market device and check the wiring against the OEM diagram. Once all this is done, you can be reasonably sure the new charger will not burn up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

The manual from Yamaha does not give any information on what voltage is from stator, They only have you test the resistance of the stator which is 0.36-0.44 ohms at 68 degrees f. That what lead me to find the original stator to be bad. if charging system is good you should have 14 v at 5,000 rpms. They do not list any other way to test the reg/rec. I guess I am just going to have to go wire by wire and connector by connector to make sure all is well. Bad thing is if a connector is bad I do not think you can just get a connector unless I want to cut wires and add some other type of three prong connector off the stator and harness to reg/rec. Will have to wait until warmer weather as I have a car port even though I am in Texas it is still cold. I guess i really can't complain I bought the bike new in 02 and and rode to Sturgis and back from Chicago and this is the only and first problem I have had. Yamaha just doe's not give you much to go on from the manual as any thing they want you to bring it to the dealer. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:13 PM

Check this short this video. Shows all to check stator windings.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 PM

This may help with the testing....click the link for "Troubleshooting the Charging System

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode