07 v star check engine light - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

07 v star check engine light

I've got an 07 v star 650. This morning, around 40 degrees out, I rode it on the freeway, and the check engine light came on after about 12 miles. I pulled off to the shoulder, and the light went out after about 30 seconds. I shut down and checked the oil level - it was fine. Started back up,and took off again. The light came on again when I hit high speed, went out when I slowed down. The bike ran great, sounded normal the whole time.Any idea what this could be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
The check engine light on these model years is triggered by only a few things. One being the throttle position sensor.

Check your owners manual to see how to read the codes.

Another member on here may chime in with these details for you.

Chances are since it goes away as you slow down or stop with the engine running and no other signs of problems it is in fact the TPS.

This is connected to the Rear carb And has an adjustment procedure.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 10:17 AM

It probably has nothing to do with your problem, but I was having the same problem on a bike that I bought back in April.

When I got it the speedometer wasn't working at all. When I rode it, the bike did exactly the same thing as your describing. I had read many threads about this problem and in several found that it was said that the speedometer can effect the check engine light. Although others said it can't. I was doubtful it did, as the speedometer is manual on these 650's and I saw no way it could effect it.

I pulled the front wheel off my bike and found that when they powdercoated the wheels they forgot to put the speedometer parts back in it. So I ordered the new parts and installed them....... Once the speedometer was fixed, I haven't had the check engine light on since and have ridden many miles on the bike.

I know this is an older thread but wanted to bring it back up again, just in case there are others having this problem and lost about how to fix it....... If your speedometer isn't working, your check engine light may be coming on for only that reason. It may even do it if you only have come and go speedometer problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode