Motorcycle won't start after sitting idle for a month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Motorcycle won't start after sitting idle for a month

I just got home from a one-month vacation, during which my motorcycle was sitting idle in an outdoor parking spot (under a bike cover). The temperatures have been going as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

I tried starting the bike with the choke fully out, but it won't start. I've tried it a number of times now and am a little worried that I might completely drain the battery.

I REALLY want to ride tomorrow before the work week begins, a month is a long time to be away from the road

Please help. How can I get my bike started?

FYI, I have very little experience in motorcycle maintenance. Trying to remedy the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainwal View Post
I just got home from a one-month vacation, during which my motorcycle was sitting idle in an outdoor parking spot (under a bike cover). The temperatures have been going as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

I tried starting the bike with the choke fully out, but it won't start. I've tried it a number of times now and am a little worried that I might completely drain the battery.

I REALLY want to ride tomorrow before the work week begins, a month is a long time to be away from the road

Please help. How can I get my bike started?

FYI, I have very little experience in motorcycle maintenance. Trying to remedy the situation.
A couple thoughts for ya,
Wait for the day to warm up sum since it's outside.
Cold air is dense so the mixture is already rich so try several attempts with little or no choke.
Also don't over do it, give time for the starter motor to cool a little between attempts.
Pull a spark plug out and check it's condition and color, if it's black or wet then the fuel mixture is too rich.

I'm sure others will chime in. I had a 2001 Classic, great bike!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 AM

It might help if we know what kind of bike you had?

Are you getting fuel? Are you getting spark? We need to know those 3 things before before we can tell you much of anything.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
It might help if we know what kind of bike you had?

Are you getting fuel? Are you getting spark? We need to know those 3 things before before we can tell you much of anything.
I think he mentioned when he introduced himself that he's riding a 2009 V Star 650.

Agree more info we get the better chance we can help out
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Did you do any preparation for storage such as fuel treatment, draining the bowls/running carbs dry OR did you just park it? Is the battery fully charged? Ethanol fuel in the tank?

Agree more info is needed.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

It's a 2009 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650.

Could you guys please tell me how to confirm if I am getting fuel and spark?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
How old was the gas in the tank prior to the month long park under cover ?

Did the bike run fine before this ?

Check for spark by pulling a plug with the boot attached and hold the firing tip near the engine block. Crank the motor over with the starter
a few times. No more. A spark should be seen across the tip.
Make sure you hold the plug with a glove on. Keep it very close to bare metal. Like a bolt head . Check both one at a time is fine.
If it's firing on both cylinders most likely the issue is fuel related.

If it's not firing on both Cylinders, Replace the plugs and try again.
Check for stupid things like the kill switch on the throttle grip. Make sure it's off NOT ON.
Make sure kickstand is down and Transmission in Neutral .

In any case try to get someone to help you drain or pump out the gas in the tank. And then put fresh gas in.

This would be a good start to getting it running again.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 01-04-2015 at 05:06 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM

One month is not enough to make fuel go stale. Chances are your fuel pet-cock is turned off. Or something similar. One month is nothing I've let my bikes sit way longer than that for many years. They fire right up every time. Even the low-budget Japanese Yamaha....so far.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
It is possible he just flooded it trying to get it started.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM

The kick stand is tied into the ignition so even if the bike is in neutral engage the clutch as you try and start it. That kickstand switch gave me fits on my 2001 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode