New weird inconsistent problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Question New weird inconsistent problem

Okay, first of all...I have a new Duralast Gold battery that I just brought up to AutoZone to have checked out and it is A-ok. I just changed my spark plugs in March '14.

My push button start is at times not doing a freak'n thing. No noise...no nothing. All lights come on when I turn my key to "on". I'm keeping it on a trickle charge even overnight since the weather is so weird here in Louisiana (20 something at night and 50 during the day at times).

I had to jump it off leaving work last week.

This morning, I took off the trickle charger and the first time I pressed the start button...nothing. No buzzing, nothing. The second time, it made noises and tried to start...then, I got it started. It was 27 degrees out this morning, fyi.

What reason would the start button not do a dang thing at times? Something going out?

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom w/Vance & Hines Short Shot Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Zombiegirl, If the battery is good and fully charged, and you CAN HEAR the start relay click when pushing the start button, check the start relay first for 12 volts from the battery(big red wire from battery). If OK, then while pressing start button check for 12 volts on the starter side of the relay(big red wire going to starter). If OK, check for voltage at the starter. If OK, starter motor is probably bad.

If you CAN NOT hear the starter relay click, find the connector in the wiring harness(just follow the LITTLE wires). Check for 12 volts at the connector while pressing the start button. If 12 volts IS present, it is probably a bad start relay, but check resistance of the relay coil anyhow just to be sure.

If 12 volts IS NOT present at the connector, the start switch or one of the interlock switches is probably bad(kickstand, clutch, neutral, or engine stop switch). Check each switch individually with an ohm meter(easiest to get to first). They should go from 0 ohms to open circuit when operated. It will probably be one of these switches.

If this doesn't solve the problem there is a more serious(harder to find) wiring issue such as insulation chafing, dirty or loose connections, etc.

Good Luck, Wavelength.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Zombiegirl, If the battery is good and fully charged, and you CAN HEAR the start relay click when pushing the start button, check the start relay first for 12 volts from the battery(big red wire from battery). If OK, then while pressing start button check for 12 volts on the starter side of the relay(big red wire going to starter). If OK, check for voltage at the starter. If OK, starter motor is probably bad.

If you CAN NOT hear the starter relay click, find the connector in the wiring harness(just follow the LITTLE wires). Check for 12 volts at the connector while pressing the start button. If 12 volts IS present, it is probably a bad start relay, but check resistance of the relay coil anyhow just to be sure.

If 12 volts IS NOT present at the connector, the start switch or one of the interlock switches is probably bad(kickstand, clutch, neutral, or engine stop switch). Check each switch individually with an ohm meter(easiest to get to first). They should go from 0 ohms to open circuit when operated. It will probably be one of these switches.

If this doesn't solve the problem there is a more serious(harder to find) wiring issue such as insulation chafing, dirty or loose connections, etc.

Good Luck, Wavelength.
Thank you for the information! I just checked the simplest first...made sure all connections going into the starter housing were tight and secure. One of the metal tubes (?) going into it was loose. I tightened that after opening up the housing and eyeballing everything (for anything obvious) and blew out spider webs and dirt. So far so good...but time will tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Start at the source. The first thing to check is the connection to the battery terminals. If the battery has been changed, maybe the screws are not tight or the terminals are not clean. Also, a battery could also have a faulty terminal. Put a volt meter on the terminals and wiggle the wires. If everything is good then follow the other suggestions. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Or...it could be the contact at the starter button up on the handle bar. Fairly easy to check, clean and coat with dielectric compound.

Well, at least thats what the same problem was on my Harley.

Good luck with it.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I did find the problem and fix it. There were a few things that had rattled loose around the switch box housing. I tightened them up, blew out the housing, and it is back to normal again! Thank you for you help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode