Tour pack "trunk" anyone got a good install? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Tour pack "trunk" anyone got a good install?

Hi all wondering if anyone has used one of the aftermarket trunks with good results? I ordered one this summer had it on for a while but was never happy with how it looked. It just seemed to sit higher then it should. Now I did not use the brackets that came with the tour pack as they did not fit my bike even though it said was made for it. Cheap eBay stuff of course. I had just placed it on my luggage rack and bolted it to that. Looking online it seemed like it was about the same height as other v stars. Thoughts opinions welcome I was thinking of flipping the luggage rack around see if it drops it a bit or make a new bracket all togather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	39489  

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 AM

Your luggage rack looks like it is at an unusual height (high). Mine is just a few inches above the rear fender and license plate. And looks to be lower than yours. I'm thinking that's what makes it look odd.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	318
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	39514  

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Your luggage rack looks like it is at an unusual height (high). Mine is just a few inches above the rear fender and license plate. And looks to be lower than yours. I'm thinking that's what makes it look odd.
Right! So this is a oem yamaha luggage rack the trunk is mounted to. I wanted to try my best to not to put holes in it but I have a feeling some drilling and re mounting will in my near future. Here is a pic without the trunk compared to yours yes it super high
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	265
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	39522  

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
SSC

In the pic you can see the new saddle bag test fit amazing how small they are that's one reason I need to get the trunk figured out.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

I guess the answer depends on whether you have a budget to spend or not. I think the Wompus racks are great as trunk specific mounts, but they'll cost you a couple hundred bucks shipped.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

I also have a Wompus rack and highly recommend it, definitely sturdier than most. I have a Shad 50L top case with quick release so I usually only have it on the bike (2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe) when we ride 2-up or I need to bring a bike cover along. Not a cruiser style, but I had it on my previous bike (BMW R1200) and the gray/black color sorta matches the bike. I still haven't figured out how to get a photo to load, sorry.

Rickey G
2014 V-Star 1300 DeLuxe
2014 BMW R1200RT (Recalled/bought back)
1984 BMW R80RT (Sold)
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T (Sold)
Seven others, 6 sold, 1 wrecked

Last edited by RickeyG; 01-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
SSC

That's a nice rack for sure! Right now the budget won't allow that its sad because the Yamaha one in my picture was 180 damn near as much I went that route because I was told by JP cycles the cobra would not fit with a stock sissy bar mount. Dang why is this the first time I have seen this. I think I'm going to play with height and drill and tap the current one. I think what throws me off a lot is the ultra classic parked next to my bike and how good Harley made the OEM pack fit.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Well had every good intention of working on the tour pack but got the saddle bags installed instead still need to run the wires for lights hope tomorrow is nice I can get back out there
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	208
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	39554  

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 PM

Flipping the rack seems like a legitimate thing to try...free! I only wonder if the curved part of the underside would push the box away some. Hard to tell from the pic.
If it did, you could always cut a "relief" into the box to slide over the rack up tight, then fiberglass from the inside to re-seal it. My 2.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Midnight
-K&N open top
-IVAN's ECU
-PC3USB
-V&H Pipes
-Mustang Seats
-Engine Guard w/ISO Pegs
-ISO shifter & brake covers
-Pirelli Night Dragons
-OEM psngr floorboards (modded Carbon Fiber)
-Custom saddlebag luggage
-Custom Driver seatback
-Custom Tour Box
-Powder coated license plate surround, windshield hardware, and shift linkage
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Garage
I have the same hard bags and haven't wired them yet. Any ideas of how you r going to wire them?

Need some wind therapy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode