Reserve Fuel - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool Reserve Fuel

Just wondering...has anyone ever felt the need to burn out the fuel in the reserve just to keep things fresh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Ok, lets do a gas tank 101 session here. The reserve is about 1 gallon of gas on a 650 stock tank. It is all together with the main supply.

The petcock has a metal type straw that goes up into the cavity on the gas tank. when it is turned to the ON position fuel will flow until the level reaches this tubes top. thats when the bike will sputter signaling driver to switch to reserve. when that is done the fuel is drawn from the lower section of the petcock which will run the bike
until the fuel level is depleted.

There is no separate tank for reserve.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:07 PM

i do once in awhile,when i fill up i'll keep it on reserve.Water sinks so in my mind i keep things circulated.What kind of bike do you got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I fill mine up from a 2 gallon plastic tank I take to the gas station.
I can inspect it prior to pouring it in. Most if not all of my riding is to and from work and weekends cruises. no long distance.

Everyday riding will more than mix the gas together in the tank.

It is far worse to keep gas in it and not ride. Always use fuel stabilizer
for winter storage and run Berrymans B 12 Chemtool in at least one tank per year. Great stuff.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM

I figure there's enough jostling in the tank that the fuel remains well blended.

2005 Road Star 1700 Silverado & Star Light Model 19 Trailer
Mustang Seats, Passing Lights, Hwy. Bars, Throttle Lock, HitchDoc Trailer Hitch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Ok, lets do a gas tank 101 session here. The reserve is about 1 gallon of gas on a 650 stock tank. It is all together with the main supply.

The petcock has a metal type straw that goes up into the cavity on the gas tank. when it is turned to the ON position fuel will flow until the level reaches this tubes top. thats when the bike will sputter signaling driver to switch to reserve. when that is done the fuel is drawn from the lower section of the petcock which will run the bike
until the fuel level is depleted.

There is no separate tank for reserve.

jake
Yea well....whatever. One of the big hitters I looked for in my back-up motorcycle was fuel availability and cruising range. Small bike (1100cc) and a 4.5 gallon fuel tank..COOL ! Well, only 2.7 gallons is usable and the japanese joke only gets 40 mpg so buying a Yamaha was the absolute worse decision I've ever made in my motorcycle buying career. You have to fill er up before you even have to go pee. Its like a Victory, you cant sell a Japanese bike because nobody wants one. Gonna give the 1100 to my boy......if he wants it which he may or may not. The thing is seriously a joke and I definitely dont get the yammy motorcycle love. Back to American for me. Real bikes.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic

Last edited by jbasile; 01-10-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:18 PM

phuch.......EDIT: forum software double-post.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic

Last edited by jbasile; 01-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:32 PM

Garage
Well it was nice having you. Enjoy your riding.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:27 AM

Reserve Fuel

Jbasile, I like my metric bike and would not buy any "American'' bike as you put it. They're not reliable thats my personal opinion. I will always buy a metric bike and the next one that I would get if I could afford it would be the Honda Goldwing or the new version Honda F6B Goldwing

Last edited by vstarjoe; 01-11-2015 at 04:57 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Garage
There is always a balance that puts weight vs power.
The more your gross weight is the less your gas mileage will be.

Engine horsepower stays the same, but the bike can be loaded in many
different ways, Single rider, two up, loaded with bags, etc.
40 mpg on an 1100 loaded with options and a single rider is not too bad. There is a post on here of a v star 950 only netting 25 mpg .

My 650 has lightweight bags and no passenger seat and I can get
about 50 mpg in the city and a shade over 60 on the highway.

Also make sure your tires have the correct pressure in them.
It does make a difference.

my 2 cents

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode