Has ANYONE installed a Phase 7 LED headlight on their V-Star? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Has ANYONE installed a Phase 7 LED headlight on their V-Star?

And if so, will a 7" Yamaha headlight visor still fit properly? I'm McLovin' the Kuryakyn 7" Phase 7 headlight and would love to add this to my 2000 V-Star 650, but I don't want to lose the look of my visor. Has anyone put this on their V-Star and tried a visor with it?

I'm also wondering if there is a good LED passing lamp solution I could use to replace my current stock lights, again that would take the visors.

Current setup:

I basically want to convert to everything to LED except the signal lights.

Thanks!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
LED bulbs can be purchased to replace most of the stock bulbs and keep the original housings. I've found them to be not as long lasting as the Standard bulbs. I did replace my 55 watt head lamp with a blue
hue 100 watt. Not familiar with the phase 7 sorry.

check your wiring diagrams and schematics . You may find that some things refuse to work right with LED bulbs.

The brake lights and turn signals on these bikes use a floating ground. In that the turn signal stalks have the bulb socket isolated from the frame ground. Same with the rear tail light. It can be tricky if your not on the same page. Good luck I hope you find what your looking for.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
LED bulbs can be purchased to replace most of the stock bulbs and keep the original housings. I've found them to be not as long lasting as the Standard bulbs. I did replace my 55 watt head lamp with a blue
hue 100 watt. Not familiar with the phase 7 sorry.

check your wiring diagrams and schematics . You may find that some things refuse to work right with LED bulbs.

The brake lights and turn signals on these bikes use a floating ground. In that the turn signal stalks have the bulb socket isolated from the frame ground. Same with the rear tail light. It can be tricky if your not on the same page. Good luck I hope you find what your looking for.

jake
From what I've read so far and from before and after tests on Youtube and other resources, it would appear you can generally swap out regular halogen bulbs with LED versions like an H3 bulb with a passing lamp and it will likely be an improvement. However the general consensus seems to be that headlight housings for halogen are just not made for the directional light of LEDs and do not reflect a proper pattern, height or spread and can actually make it more dangerous for the driver or other motorists. A lot of reviews seem to indicate that LED H4s in a halogen housing actually improved lighting on the ground around the front of the bike, but actually gave less distance and less height, making highway signs and such harder to read.

I'm definitely going to test all the LED goodies I have coming in and will record everything to post on the forum. I'm really liking what I see about the Phase 7, but I don't want to lose the sexy look of the visor

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
That info would be interesting to those searching that topic.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

For anyone curious, Kuryakyn just got back to me on the headlight question:

Quote:
The 7” phase 7 LED headlamp 2249 will fit your bike with the headlight visor. The passing lamps 2247 do not fit the Yamaha housing. You would have to replace them to Harley spot housings.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did replace my 55 watt head lamp with a blue
hue 100 watt.
why did you double the watts?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Bevo, The blue hue was a direct replacement bulb for the vstar.

The 55 watt low beam was rather yellowish colored. The blue hue 100 watt is much clearer and has a blue hue when viewed at night or from straight on. It was about $12 on ebay. Not sure of the high beam watts as I never use high beams.

I've had this bulb in for over 2 months with no issues.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Dan R what was the cost for these bulbs ?

This company has a reputation for high cost parts.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dan R what was the cost for these bulbs ?

This company has a reputation for high cost parts.
The Kuryakyn Phase 7 is a complete LED headlight replacement, so you change the entire headlight and only keep the chrome housing. It's $250 on eBay.

As an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TOURI...d3c73c&vxp=mtr

You will never have to replace the lights, the LEDs on this unit will outlive the bike.

You can see some before and after shots here:

Skip to 3:30 for the comparisons.

The LEDs I bought for the passing lamps cost $5 for the pair and I bought a pack of 5 LED T10 lights for my speedometer for $3, shipped.

Dan
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Wow $250 for a head light is a bit steep. The other bulbs are a no brainer.

Post some part numbers if you can for the instrument bulbs and the passing lamp bulbs ...

thanks Dan

jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode