Caswell Gas tank coating Do it yourself ? Yes! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Caswell Gas tank coating Do it yourself ? Yes!

I felt I needed to inform you guys about this product. And The reason
I used it.

When I purchased my bike in June of 2014 the gas tank had this orange
looking sludge inside. it ran, but with only 1 gallon of gas in it.
I purchased the caswell coating ( which is an epoxy formulated for use in fuel tanks) And planned to use one half on my sons bike tank and the
Remainder on my vstar tank. One kit will do two tanks.

The cost was around $40 shipped. It's easy to use and you can mix it up and pour it in and just keep turning the gas tank around in different directions to spread it around. You can even thin it with solvent to allow for more working time.

Before use you must clean the inside of the gas tank. empty all fuel
and then blow it out with compressed air. Adding 8 to 16 ozs of
Acetone and sloshing it around the tank, then drain. Be very careful of the paint. Or you can just let it sit over night and it will be bone dry in the morning. A handful of BB's added to the tank and seal off the opening can then be sloshed around the dry tank inerds to remove any scale or rust from the sides. Empty tank of all BB's, and Again blow out with air hose. ( wear safety goggles) Rinse one last time with Acetone. Let dry and Gas Tank is now ready for epoxy coating.

You will also need to remove your petcock from the tank. This can be done prior to start if you want. or just replace the assembly .

I have more data so if your interested let me know. There are some additional tricks....

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 01-12-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM
SSC

Good to hear of another product that gives great results. I've used lot 15 gas tank sealer on old tractor worked well.

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
The tank on my sons bike was from an 87 Honda Rebel 450.
And it was horrible inside. This stuff lined it perfectly and never gave us any problem afterwards.

The vstar tank was sludged and some rust, scale. The BB's help to remove a good bit of grit and rust particals.

The secret is to use a small play ball. A kids play ball or a dog ball to seal the tank opening. I found real small tennis balls at walmart for
small dogs. They are just the right size for the gas cap opening.

I put the ball inside a zip lock bag and then wrapped it with aluminum foil. It's pliable enough to stuff into the opening and seal it.
It will leave enough sticking out to grab and remove it.
Works during the epoxy curing process and the cleaning with Acetone.

Helps to protect the paint in a real good way.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 01-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM

I always try to get it cleaned up without the sealer. A good dunk at the radiator shop does pretty good at cleaning most of the rust out. I've had too many bikes with that stuff peeling out of the tank...... totally plugging the fuel system and ruining the tank ...... to ever want to use it if there is any other option available.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Was it caswell coating you used ? This stuff is like iron. no way is it coming out. At least 1/8" or more thick.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM

I've never used any, so it's hard to say what brand it was. Several I've seen have been on there at least that thick, that is why I had to toss the tanks out....it's just about impossible to remove.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
If you have never used it I have to say it is the miracle cure for rusted
crusty gas tanks. Others may work temporarily but this stuff is in there
for the long haul. Cream is another brand that works too but not as good as the Caswell .

I have some in the metal mixing can I put in my 2 tanks and it's like glass inside. you can hit it with a hammer and it won't phase it.

Well worth the price for what you get to do 2 gas tanks.

jake

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM

I wish you the best of luck with it. I know it will get you by at least for a while.

Just know that there is a heck lot of expansion on a metal motorcycle tank if you ever leave it in the sun, which means a lot of contraction when it cools. If you are 100% sure that this product will expand and contract perfectly with the metal without coming loose, there should be no problem.

Tanks in most other vehicles are usually protected from the sun and do not go through the same internal stresses. IMO those sealers will work much better in those applications.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
This stuff is designed and marketed for Motorcycle gas tanks.
So it's not like you CAN use it for this. It's made to use for this.

Sometime people just don't believe it works as well as it does.
I'm sold on it. And would be happy to use it again any time.

If I ever have any issues with it I'll be glad to post some details.

Currently it's been in the tank since August 2014.

jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode