straight pipe on a 2002 1100 v-star classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Cool straight pipe on a 2002 1100 v-star classic

Hey all, I had this great idea of making my own straight pipes on my 2002 1100 V-Star classic. I used the stock head pipes and tried to make slip on by using two chrome tail pipe extensions 2 1/8" od x 9" long (I want them longer but 9" was the longest I could find). I used a exhaust adapter 2" od x 1 5/8" id plus a 1 1/2"x 2" long pipe. That was the smallest id I cloud find from the auto part store. Then I thought that I should create some back pressure by taking a 2 1/8" freeze plug and drilling a 3/8" hole in the middle of the freeze plug then 8 - 1/4" holes around the out side of the 3/8" hole. With a little sand in the 1 1/2 pipe

Epic fail! I cut slots in the 1 1/2 pipe to slip on the head pipe so I could clamp it on. Could not find any good clamps, had to make a spacer for the id difference id and od of pipe and head pipe. Had exhaust leaks from where I clamped it. Need to rethink. And yes I'm that cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
Hey all, I had this great idea of making my own straight pipes on my 2002 1100 V-Star classic. I used the stock head pipes and tried to make slip on by using two chrome tail pipe extensions 2 1/8" od x 9" long (I want them longer but 9" was the longest I could find). I used a exhaust adapter 2" od x 1 5/8" id plus a 1 1/2"x 2" long pipe. That was the smallest id I cloud find from the auto part store. Then I thought that I should create some back pressure by taking a 2 1/8" freeze plug and drilling a 3/8" hole in the middle of the freeze plug then 8 - 1/4" holes around the out side of the 3/8" hole. With a little sand in the 1 1/2 pipe

Epic fail! I cut slots in the 1 1/2 pipe to slip on the head pipe so I could clamp it on. Could not find any good clamps, had to make a spacer for the id difference id and od of pipe and head pipe. Had exhaust leaks from where I clamped it. Need to rethink. And yes I'm that cheap.
Nothing wrong with being cheap ive had that idea before. The parts stores use to sell maybe still do glass pack lined exh tips I've seen some 12 inches long. It's basically the same thing as my cobra slip on's maybe slightly larger ID. Not sure if the freeze plug drilled would be required the gasses will slow once they enter the larger chamber and create some back pressure there but not a lot. Rtv silicone will work wonders for leak as long as its the kind that dries not the blue. Keep us posted

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Just a thought for ya...if you found a set of OE head pipes online cheap could you cut the straight sections off and add that to the end of your pipes some how?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM

Why the straight pipe? Ive always found the sound kinda sharp. Id rather it had a duller thump.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
Why the straight pipe? Ive always found the sound kinda sharp. Id rather it had a duller thump.
Tried em on my 99 Victory. Rode 10 miles, turned around,came home and put the stage 1's back on. It was obnoxious and the low end torque (one of this bikes fine characteristics) was gone.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM

You could try an exhaust band clamp and some sealer...

you can also create some back pressure this way....

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

Also, torque cones designed for a shovel head should fit the stock exhaust head pipes.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 PM
SSC

Any update on the progress? I've seen The tq cones before was sad my shovel head had straight Pipes had to use Vance and Hines baffles when I got the bike. I miss the loud potato potato hit the gas and watch small children run sound but damn the baffles added some power down low

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 AM

I would weld the extensions on so you have no leaks and just make you some lolly pop baffles or buy a set of Thunder Monster baffles, that should give you back the torque you lost. I have Morton Executioners on my Warrior and i lost some torque being they are straight pipes. I made some baffles just like the Thunder Monster baffles and installed them and now i have all or most of my torque back, so they do work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode