Anyone tried the Kuryakyn skeleton mirrors? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried the Kuryakyn skeleton mirrors?

I'm looking at the ones with chromed arms holding the flat black mirrors. I think they will look sweet on my black 1300 but....afraid they might be a little cheeseball. I'm pretty conservative, not one to slap skulls, etc all over my bike. Hoping someone has seen these in person and can give me an honest opinion.

Keep in mind I'm probably going to buy them regardless. :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Garage
Chazz, I saw a pair on a black Harley early last summer at bike night. The Harley had a black fairing, and the mirrors really stood out. Personally I liked the look. They appeared to be a little taller than factory mirrors, but not by much. Since I've recently ordered a black Memphis shades fairing for my black 950t, I'm thinking about getting a pair. Once you mount them, snap a few pics if you don't mind so we can see how they look on your back 1300.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Will do. 99.9% certain will go with the Kuryakyns over the scythe mirrors from Demon Cycles. Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Garage
Anytime my friend. Looking forward to your pic's.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
How much are their Mirrors ? Over $100 per pair ?

When I first got my 650 I knew the mirrors were a little beat up.
The left more than the right. So I started to look for a nice pair of
after market custom mirrors. I found a pair I liked, Slim chrome tear drop shaped. They were $65. Got them home Tried to install them
and spent at least 2 hours trying to get them adjusted.
The mirror heads were very stiff. Little movement, And the Adjusting
nut to lock the assembly down would not hold the mirror.
You could get them set and tightened down but when you try to adjust the mirror it would break loose at the 10mm adapter.
I ended up snapping one of the mirrors glass trying to get them adjusted and gave up. I found a pair of OEM Vstar 650 mirrors in good shape to replace mine. 10 minutes out of the box and all was great with the world. They work perfect and do not move out of position. They were $30 for the pair.

I guess bottom line is : they may look great and cool but how do they function.... Plenty out there but pick and choose wisely

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 01-17-2015 at 09:11 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I think they function as well as the stock mirrors. Maybe better since they extend a little farther out. They're pricey for what they are but so's all the other crap we buy for our bikes. Now the scythe style I was considering....prob more fashion than function.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I have to admit that on some bikes the mirrors are for looks because they shake so much you can't see anything but a blurry object in them.

The vstar is well enough engineered to address the fact that the mirrors actually work very well with minimal vibration distortion.
My rear view is clear and not distorted until the revs climb rather high.

For around town they are great. It's hard to beat them with aftermarket ones. A real fat wallet Made thin for a pair that look good and function less than the stockers is to me meaningless. But then again Thats MHO.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

The stockers are fine, just looking for something different. It's that time of year, can't ride much so sit around and think about the next mod or farkle! If I worried about a fat wallet, would never own a bike. Or chase women back in the day. Or drink craft beer. Oh man, just kill me now. Haha

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 01-17-2015 at 04:10 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM

I've had at least a half dozen different aftermarket mirrors from cheap to over $100 on my bike and never had an issue with any of them. I just made sure the mirror was glass and not plastic...the same with the housing.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Chazz , I get ya Haha. Most country songs that talk about ripping the rear view mirror off are from trucks not bikes. None of them thought about that I guess.

If your ex is chasing you you don't want to see her anyway.
Right ?

People with fat wallets don't worry about anything.

In the case of motorcycle mirrors you do get what you pay for.
The cheaper they are the less you will like them.

Kind of like girl friends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode