My review of the Custom Dynamics LED Taillight - 100 LEDs GEN-100-1157YAM - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

My review of the Custom Dynamics LED Taillight - 100 LEDs GEN-100-1157YAM

Hey guys, I was super stoked to try out the Custom Dynamics LED Taillight with 100 LEDs - Part number GEN-100-1157YAM. I saw this on Youtube and saw it lit up quite a bit more than the stock light on my 650 classic using less wattage of course. So I grabbed one and here are my before and after pics... unfortunately my good camera is dead so I had to use my cell, but you still get a very good idea of how this mod performs. A snap to install too, just plug it in to the stock socket, screw it in with the red cover and it's done. 5 minutes tops. You don't see a big difference as a running light, but man, when you hit the brakes WOW! Went from lighting up a spot on my garage door to lighting up the entire front of the garage area. Overall, SUPER pleased! Here's my before and after montage:

Thanks for looking!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Dan How much is this assembly ?

Is there more than one version?

thanks jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Dan How much is this assembly ?

Is there more than one version?

thanks jake
$66.86 plus free shipping from Powersportparts.net:

http://www.powersportparts.net/Custo..._p/4759086.htm

$23 cheaper than Amazon.

Custom Dynamics has all kinds of LED lights, TONS of stuff. You can check out their goodies at http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...ED Tail Lights

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Garage
Did the same, but also added brake light modulator. This was plug and play with stock bulb. Much brighter than stock.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Did the same, but also added brake light modulator. This was plug and play with stock bulb. Much brighter than stock.
Which modulator did you use?

Thanks
Dan
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Do you know if one of the bulbs burns out if the rest stay lit ?

My 47 Harley tail light is rather dim. It uses the clear lens on top as a tag light, so the running light and brake light both illuminate the tag holder. This robs some of the lights brightness.

So I'm thinking about getting an LED lag light holder and black out the clear lens in the upper portion of the tail light so it gets all the lumens the bulb has to offer. Then the brake and running lights will be dedicated to the 357 style bulb. And not trying to illuminate the tag .

I had one of these LED tag mounts on my sons Rebel 450 and it worked great. It lights up the tag brightly all the time.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Do you know if one of the bulbs burns out if the rest stay lit ?

My 47 Harley tail light is rather dim. It uses the clear lens on top as a tag light, so the running light and brake light both illuminate the tag holder. This robs some of the lights brightness.

So I'm thinking about getting an LED lag light holder and black out the clear lens in the upper portion of the tail light so it gets all the lumens the bulb has to offer. Then the brake and running lights will be dedicated to the 357 style bulb. And not trying to illuminate the tag .

I had one of these LED tag mounts on my sons Rebel 450 and it worked great. It lights up the tag brightly all the time.

jake
When an LED burns out or dies, it won't affect the continuity of the electrical circuit, it will just be a dead LED and 99 will keep working
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I see thanks for the update .

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Bought one of these for both my bikes. Super pleased with them. I noticed a feature that hadn't occurred to me when I originally bought the lights.

In addition to just being brighter, the light achieves "brake light" brightness in about half as much time after applying the brakes, as compared to an incandescent bulb.

It might only be 250ms quicker, but if the reaction time of a person behind you is 500ms and that timer doesn't start until they actually see your brake lights, it could have a big impact. I'm sold on leds from now on.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Which modulator did you use?

Thanks
Dan
SignalDynamics

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode