Now it was time to tackle the electrical system. There were no turn signals. The horn and starter buttons were located on the tool box cover. The headlight was hard wired to always be on high beam. I needed a new tail/brake and tag light.
So, starting with the tag light and mount, I decided to just use a piece of angle iron. I cut it to length, painted it with bedliner, and mounted it on the forward two bolts of the final drive. The tag light is a simple white LED strip glued to the angle iron.
The tail/brake light is simple LED strip glued to the top trailing edge of the fender, using a simple circuit consisting of a resistor and diode. The rear turn signals are also LED strips, glued to the side trailing edges of the fender.
The front turn signals are also LED strips, wrapped around the fork tubes. They ended up being smaller than I expected, but they'll do for now.
As for switches, I decided I liked the clean look of the handlebars. I mounted all my switches in the speedometer housing.
Above the Yamaha logo is a SPDT on/off/on switch for the turn signals. The black push button to the left of that is the horn button. The toggle to the upper left of the speedo is the high beam switch. And the push button to the upper right of the speedo is the starter button.
I also put new grips, since I HATED the chrome grips.
I also have new mirrors on order, they should be in sometime in the next week.
And that's pretty much where she sits right now. The next couple weeks will be spent taking care of mechanical issues.
This weekend will be the front end. I'll be replacing the front tire, tube, rim strip, fork seals, wheel bearings, and tree bearings. I'll also be re-routing the throttle cable, and making sure the hoses/wires/cables are secure and won't bind.
Next weekend, I'll be replacing the rear tire, tube, and rim strip. I'll be using a slightly wider tire, 180/70, instead of 170/80. I'll also be replacing the wheel bearings, and lubing the drive shaft.
I also have to check the valves, which I neglected to do. I'd like to change out the clutches, but after adjusting the clutch cable, they feel fine.
One thing I'm debating on is painting the wheels. I don't really want to, as I feel I've passed the critical mass level of matte black. I think I'll just work on lifting the rust, and maybe just paint the spokes, since they have some decent oxidation on them.
After that, I'd like to get some baffles for the exhaust. The sound is growing on me, but the lack of low end power isn't. I'll also most likely re-shape and re-cover the seat myself. And AIS removal is definitely in the very near future.
So far, I've spent about $600, including the tires. I figure, if I can keep it under $1000, I'll be a happy man.
Feel free to ask any questions. I'll post an update this weekend. Thanks for reading!