Kuryakyn Triple Wammy Run/Brake light install - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Kuryakyn Triple Wammy Run/Brake light install

Hi.

I have a 09 Vstar 950. I picked up one of those kits that turn you rear signal light into running and brake lights. It was one of those impulse purchases while in the USA.

Anyone install one of those, or something similar?

The instruction looked simple, but everything under the seat was completely covered in tape at the factory. Pretty sure I know where the connectors are though. I also found out about some 950's wired incorrectly, and how to fix it.

Anybody done this? Any comments.
Thanks very much
Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Garage
Hi Grant,
I also own an 09' 950t. I bought the same kit you did and it's a simple install. Just find the connectors and install your kit in between the factory ones. Unknown to me, my bike was one of those that had wiring issues, and I didn't know until I installed my kit. I send the kit back, the company wired it correctly, and I've had no issues since. These kits double visibility especially at night, and I've used them on previously owned bikes. I changed the rear turn signal bulbs to red LED's, and it made a huge difference. Hope this helps. Just follow the supplied instructions and you'll really be seen!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM

Garage
Got the same kit on my 1100 and like Kieth said, makes you that much more visible. You didn't go wrong getting this one.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Grant
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

what wiring issue? i guess i don't have that on mine since my brake modulator and LED turn signal strip just spliced into the original wires no problem.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

In the instructions was a note about how some vstar 950's were wired "wrong" from the factory. I haven't installed it yet, but apparently it's an issue with 2 wires ( 1 blue 1 brown ) that need to be swapped.

I guess yours was fine. Hope mine is the same!!!

Cheers
Grant
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM

Hi newfie,

Hopefully I can help out with this one! I have a 2013 950 and if you bought the Kuryakyn kit, I am assuming it is a plug-and-play one? they offer the splice one but they don't seem to fit the metrics. If you do have the simple plug and play with the two clear plastic plugs on both sides, this one is super easy to install.

My two connectors were on the side of the bike under the torx screw protected panel under the seat. If the 2009 does not have a torx screw it is the right side cover right under the seat. I'm not sure if the 2009 and 2013 are the same but that's where mine was. Once you've located that it is super simple.

You are correct and hearing the rumor that the wires are incorrectly assembled from the factory. However there is some good news! It is super easy to switch the two wires. (though I am glad to read the previous post that sending it back to the company proved to be helpful and pleasant!) You also heard correctly that it is the BLUE and the BROWN wires. They come out fairly easy if you can push in the right spot. There are clear plastic tabs that the pins lock into place with. You can use either a nail or thumbtack or I used a really fine pointed file to run down inside the wire along the casing. Do it gently but if you have depressed the little tab the wire slips right out. Just try pressing in different places and wiggle the wire at the same time until it slips on out. It can be a little tedious but once you find the first one the other ones will be a breeze. Switch the blue and the brown wires on both ends, plug them in and you're ready to go!

You can test the install by plugging in your kit and trying out your brake light and turn signals. I knew mine was wrong because my running lights did not come on at all, but I turned on my left blinker and it worked with the right one didn't or some combination like that. I switched the wires and voilą! perfection!

Hope yours might be the same and this helps troueshoot the issue. Don't give up!

Ash

Ashlie

2013 VStar 950- "Poseidon"

Cobra Slashdowns, fuel tuner
Kuryakyn pedals, grips, Alley Cat air, rtb controller, battery gauge
Misc. mirrors, chrome, and fun!

"It's amazing all the mess we make and what we can survive"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ash

Working on the road for the next week, should get at it soon.

Thanks for the comments

Cheers
Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode