98 Vstar - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

98 Vstar

I'm reaching out because I have hit a road block with two major issues on my motorcycle. I have a 1998 Yamaha Vstar 650 bobber style. Rear and pipes are cut. Side license plate/brake, also a jet kit.
My two issues are as follows:
1. While installing a new side license plate bracket, I think I might of damaged the wiring. Now when I try to brake, the light doesn't come on. I was wondering if you know of a site that has diagrams or a how to video so I can go in there a see how to fix it. I know nothing about electrical. I would also need to know where to buy parts etc.
2. This second issue has to do with the engine. Recently, I have been losing power either while riding at highway speeds or on the street. For example, I will be going down the street at around 45MPH when all of a sudden I feel the bike die down. It feels like I'm losing horse power. It also sounds a lot different, like a 250cc.
So far, I have had the jets check out. Mechanic said they are within spec. I changed out the spark plugs and I bought new coils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Hello Andre, The regular shop manual has the schematics for the electrical on your bike. And it is color coded so you can see what color wire does what and where it's located for example.

I assume you moved the tag /brake/ running light to the side tag mount.

You must understand that the stock rear light uses an isolated ground.
The light bulb housing does not touch frame ground.

If your assembly is shorted to the frame there's your problem.
To fix it you might need to isolate the light so it does not touch metal
when mounted. (possible) I do not know what you have done or what it looks like so it's just an example of what to do.

Next, A loss of power can be from multiple items or a single item
that has malfunctioned or is in need of replacement.
The very first thing I would do is make sure the gas tank is clean inside. And change the fuel filter. This means pull the tank off the bike and drain the gas into a container to check for sediment.
This can also be done by disconnecting the fuel line to the rear carb.
If the tank is clean (no rust or sludge ) and you replace the fuel filter with a fresh one. try riding it again. See what changes.
If it still does this most likely you have an electrical or Carb, issue .

You must be ready to wrench on a bike thats 18 years old.
Or be ready to pay a shop or repair man. If need be.

These issues could be why the Owner sold it.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 02-05-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Also how many miles does this bike have on it.?

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

1. "damaged the wiring" sounds kind of vague. did you purposely move or cut any wires at all during this install? if you need to replace part of the wiring, then first you need to locate where this damage is. as for fixing it, any auto parts store or Home Depot or Lowes or such has just about anything you might need to fix electrical wiring. if you are replacing any of the wiring, make sure you are doing so with the same gauge. bring a portion of it to the store so you can match it with the correct thickness/size you need.

2) don't know much about carbureted bikes, but i would say the next thing to look at is the carb. it may need to be synced, or the float bowl/needle adjusted. if you are looking for videos on anything, just search youtube.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Let me give you more info on the bike and the issues. Restorider00 the bike has ~60k miles.
1) The bike came with an aluminum side license plate/brake light mount, but it was rusting/breaking off. I bought a steel (I think) black powder coated bracket. In order to install it, I had to cut the wires and pull on them a little to get some extra slack to mount on the new bracket. The brake lights worked before the cut, so I’m thinking I either messed up the splicing or I pulled on it to hard and something got unplugged. The cables just seemed to be original, so I would rather just get new ones. I’m using the following manual, http://www.technohillbilly.net/vstar...0_main_man.pdf and I’ll visit my local Lowes to get some wire. Thanks for that tip.
2) Some more info on the engine. While riding it the other day, the problem came up again. Riding down the street and all of a sudden I get loss of power. Also, the sound of the bike changed. I placed my hand a few inches away from the ends of the pipes. I noticed my rear head is firing but not my front one. Exhaust on rear head was hot, front head wasn’t. Not sure what to check first.
I’m at work all day today, but I’ll getting working on it tomorrow. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Garage
This sounds to me like the front carb needs attention. Or your having some issues with the coil or wiring to that front cyl.

If it only does it sometimes and not all the time I would point a big finger towards the carb and or related parts, Filter, fuel pump, gas tank
petcock, etc.

When I first got my 650 the tank was so bad it would run for a while
pretty decent and then go into a fit of sputter and back fire cutting out
and so on. The entire fuel system was serviced, cleaned carbs, new intake boots, Caswell coated the gas tank , new fuel lines and filter.

Runs like new now.

Use a Multimeter to check continuity on your rear light wires.
Most have a (beep) function to check for this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 PM

my stupidity may help

this may sound stupid, but did you get the correct plugs when you changed them? I had an fzr600 that was doing the same type of thing. I went through all the same checking fuel filter, cleaning carbs, checking coil ect ect. even replaced the plugs with same number plug that I took out. after like two weeks and a lot of needless work did I find out that the plugs were supposed to be a cr8 and not a cr7. bike ran fine after I put the correct plugs in.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Moby, not a stupid question at all. I did double check the plugs, and they are correct. I have been looking on youtube and I found a video of a guy that is having the same problem as me. If you care to take a look, here you go.
--- Front head does't fire and only getting exhaust out of one pipe.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah well thats great but your condition may be totally different than
the guy on you tubes video.

Many different factors can have the same outcome.

Do not look at this video as being the cause of your problem.

If your having these type issues you need to be a Spy and start looking
for whats wrong.

Looking at videos will not cure or fix the problem.

1st : rule out ANY fuel related issues from gas tank to carbs.
2nd : Determine when the problem starts. As in cold start, after it starts to warm or fully warmed up.
3rd : Read the plugs : Sooty and black or grey ash colored, tan, ect.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM

IMO....you're best bet is to get the bike into a shop and have somebody fix it right.

By admission some of the skills needed to do a proper job are lacking on your end.

With an electrical problem, you need to have a DVOM and know how to use it.

With the running issue, it could be electrical or carbs..... to fix either you need a some basic knowledge of how these thingss operate and how to fix them when they don't work right. So if you want, break out the books and start studying....there is a LOT to learn. Trying to fix an issue like this on a forum is extremely difficult...because there are literally a hundred things that could be an issue. since we can't see it or hear it, all we can do is make semi-educated guesses.

Or......as I mentioned, take it to somebody that can get you back on the road in a couple hours with a safe running bike. With any luck, they will help educate you on what was going on.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 02-07-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode