Calling all V-Star 1100 wranglers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Question Calling all V-Star 1100 wranglers

O.k. Guys, can anyone confirm or deny this tale. My 1100 custom has some valve tap noise, not bad but I can hear it (only has 6000 miles). I was told by a Vstar mech that this is normal for the Vstar and to ignore it. However, I was also told by another shop that the valves are notorious for loosening and need to be checked every oil change. I just can't bring myself to believe that I would have to invest $400.00 every 3000 miles on my bike. I have heard Vstars that sounded like a coffee can full of bolts rattling, and I have heard some that were quiet as a mouse. Any input or experience is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Hello 82nd and welcome to the forum. I did the 12000 mile service on my 2004 1100 classic, oh about 6000 miles ago now. Before that the valves were quiet as you said, the mouse. Upon checking valve clearances I found that they were about .0015" tighter than tolerances specified in my manual. After adjusting them to proper specs they are still quiet. I would suggest you recheck or have them re checked by another shop or someone who knows how to do the job properly. I don't recall anyone complaining about noisy valves on the 1100 engine. But I could be wrong as I'm fairly new to the forum and the 1100. I'm sure someone with a real working knowledge of the beast will help you out here though.

Sonysnek
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 PM

Valves on an 1100 tighten as they wear. So if your valves are quiet, you have a major issue in the works. We want them nice and noisy.

With that said, most guys with 1100's have rarely had to adjust them. I'd suggest checking them every year.....but I have 40,000 on mine and have yet to adjust them, but I'm getting close.

The solution is to learn to do it yourself. It takes maybe an hour of your time including beer breaks and it's just not all that difficult. Keep in mind that the shop will charge you whether they actually adjust them or not.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 AM

Garage
82nd, like Mick said. I look at mine once a year and I've only had to adjust once in 76, 000 kms. Mine are nice and "ticky" at the beginning of the season but once I change my oil to 20W50 they quiet down some. You being in SW FLA could be running that grade of oil to quiet them down.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 AM

I recently learned how to adjust valves with a fully qualified race mechanic by my side... prior to adjustment they were clicking quietly along. Now they tick much louder. It's a little unnerving to hear sometimes but I know it's adjusted correctly so I'm just going with the flow. The shop manual says to check clearances every service but every mechanic I've spoken to says that every 12k miles is plenty unless you suspect something is wrong. And it's actually a pretty easy thing to check yourself once you know how. It's the knowing how part that's hard

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Talking Requested info

Thanks to all the responses and the great info.

Corsair: I did switch to 20w50 and there was a noticeable difference

M'Lady: I will take your advice and learn the procedure, I have a service manual so now I'm dangerous

Sick Mick: Makes sense that the valve seat would wear down making things tighten up and now that you mention it, my wife's 650 was in for service which included a valve check that was never done. After a long discussion with the service manager they were redone, correctly this time

Sonysnek: I will keep looking, but a good Yamaha mech is hard to find here (lots of Harley though). A good mechanic is like a good barber, once you find one you never go anywhere else.

Wind in your hair, sun on your face, and bugs in your teeth, what could be better?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Gentlemen...

Has any of you had a testdrive with fresh Indian mc?

Last year was my first with my 1100, I did read a lot of comments ticking/tapping valves and understood this is just how it is despite what you do. It was disturbing me a bit... Until...
I had a chance for a testdrive with new Indian, can't remember the model but costs over 30k here in Finland.
That engine "upstairs" was noisy
Thank god I did the drive, when I got back to my bike and went home... It was so quiet nice engine with little happytappy valve sounds

And still is...

DragStar Classic 1100 -04
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi 82nd. My 2005 has 7,700 miles on it and the valves were as quiet as a mouse. I did a check at 6,600 and all checked as very tight. Not trusting myself, I took it to a pro and he confirmed they were tight. When I picked it up, I noticed a slight tapping.

Like others have said, quiet isn't good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode