Mid shaft issues vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mid shaft issues vstar 1100

Maybe this has been addressed, but I couldn't find anything from searching. The mid shaft nut issues that the 02 and 06 1100's had, is this a big issue that people have seen. It seems like if mainly affected those years, but after 06 was something put in place to fix the problem from happening? Seems like a huge deal, and honestly has me kind of curious. I would hate to be going down the highway and the real wheel lock up because the drive shaft snapped and got in a bind. I'm sure you guys will put my concerns to ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
Hatchet, I don't understand you not finding anything on the mid shaft issue on here. I posted my issues and so did many others. In any case, Yamaha came out with a larger shaft to help solve this issue. I'm not sure on the year they came out with this repair; maybe Mick can enlighten us. One thing you can do to set your mind at ease is to have a look at the nut. If it hasn't moved, stake it in place. If it has started to move, torque it back up and stake it.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM

Almost all years of V Star 1100 have had the mid shaft issue. You have to realize that the greatest numbers were sold during the years you listed....so of course we see more instances of it. As much as you might hear about, it is still a relatively uncommon occurrence. I don't think Yamaha ever changed anything except a more aggressive staking of the nut....and that wasn't until 08 or 09 if I remember correctly.

If you want to avoid it for sure. Just stack the nut in place and you'll never have to worry about it.

Also..the rear wheel will not lock up...the bike will run and move just fine, it'll just be really noisy and you'll know something is wrong. I've seen guys ride over 100 miles with it broken. It did beat things up a little in the shaft area like the speedo sensor, but all was easily fixable even after all of those miles.

Even if it does break, it's a pretty simple and inexpensive repair. I did it 20,000 miles ago and have not had an issue since. Nor have I seen anyone have an issue with the repair in all the instances I've seen over the last 12 years.

The 1100 is an incredibly durable machine.....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the response. I tried to sift through all the posts when searching the issue. Maybe I wasn't searching the right key words. I was planning on taking it apart and taking a look either way, I was mostly curious if it was an issue towards the end of the 1100s reign over the vstar line and if they came out with a fix I didn't wanna stake it for nothing. thank yall for the info. Definitely helped.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:04 PM
SSC

08 was the fix thank goodness. After I got my bike and started to read that it freaked me out. From what I have read there have been no serious injuries from this failure most common is a brown spot in ones underware thank God.'

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 PM

mine is an 07 california model. it's staked from the factory staked on both the nut and shaft
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:27 AM

My '05 VStar 1100 just turned over 25,000 miles when I noticed the whining noise. Started researching, then I did a visual inspection and found the middle driven shaft broke at the very end; I had to bring the nut into work with me to get the remains of the shaft out of it - it was staked and did not come out easily. For my machine anyway looseness of the nut doesn't seem to be the root cause of the failure.

I am in the midst of removing the engine and am planning to take it to a local machine shop to have the shaft end milled flat and tapped for a grade 8 bolt (M8-1.25 x 16 mm).

I'm still wondering about the original nut; should I mill it down in height or can I find one with the same flange that is thinner? What's the spec on the nut, anyone know?

2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:29 AM

Location: Iowa - East-central area just 16 miles North of Quad-Cities.
When I start machining my own bolts or drive shaft, I want someone to just shove me out of the plane without a chute. I ride an average of about 20,000 miles (per year) on my '07 V-Star 1100 Classic, and my Certified Yamaha mechanic is a necessary and valued part of my "team". That said, I admire your skills with machine tools and wish you all the best.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:37 PM

OK I guess I'm the stupid one here but what exactly is the mid-shaft issue? I have an 06 with just over 24K. No issues thus far but what do I need to look for or check to make sure I don't have any problems? From reading the posts I'm assuming a nut somewhere works loose.
Thanks

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:34 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode